PlayStation is shutting down its VR development studio in Manchester, which never released any games

PlayStation-VR-logo.png

PlayStation is closing down yet another one of their British studios, before it could manage to ship a single game. PlayStation's Manchester branch opened in 2015, and was intended to develop and release PlayStation VR titles, and while the studio was confirmed to be working on one game, that is now no longer the case. This is the third shuttering of a PlayStation development branch in the UK, following the closure of Guerilla Cambridge and Evolution Studios in the last four years. Two British teams yet remain under PlayStation's label: Media Molecule and London Studio.

The firm confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that it intends 'to close it as part of our efforts to improve efficiency and operational effectiveness'.

:arrow: Source

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Sony Person 1: "What will we do today?"
Sony Person 2: "Let's open a VR studio in Manchester!"

--- 5 years later... ---

Sony Person 2: "Remember that VR studio we opened in Manchester? Let's pull the plug!"
Sony Person 1: "But we didn't even give them a proje-"
Sony Person 2: "THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY? SHUT IT DOWN!"

Real smooth, dipshits.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sony Person 2: "Let's open a VR studio in Manchester!"

--- 5 years later... ---

Sony Person 2: "Remember that VR studio we opened in Manchester? Let's pull the plug!"
Sony Person 1: "But we didn't even give them a proje-"
Sony Person 2: "THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY? SHUT IT DOWN!"

Real smooth, dipshits.
But they did have a project? Like it's mentioned right there in the first post.

Reactions: Pleng

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just like the Vita. so quick to backtrack after loss of investments.
So to you 5 years is quick lol its called business if it doesn't look like it's gonna achieve anything you shut it down what's the big deal

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's no big deal, just like the Vita I guess.
You keep going on about vita yeh it's a shame it didn't hav more support from Sony but you hav to respect ther decision for not making more big games for it-in business yr allowed to change yr minds and its just unlucky for those who bought the vita and was expecting mor

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Sony is concerned. Genuinely. You always have to be mindful of competition, but Microsoft have bank AND they have been killing it lately.

Sony have already verbally committed to VR next gen, they may try Nd back track (I doubt it though, I think they try to stay in this market, it has more promise than 3D)

VR could be Sonys "Kinect". Microsoft have the Hololens, which is in a different price range by some margin. I think Microsoft's VR was inferior on price (the comparably priced systems are flawed)

Probably just saving cash due to lack of progress and moving staff.

D

Deleted User

Nice going Sony! Maybe, just maybe, actually letting the company make a game would bring more finical success than this, maybe. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all