PlayStation is reportedly working on a new service to compete against Xbox Game Pass

ps now.png

According to a report from Bloomberg today, PlayStation is working on a direct competitor to the Xbox Game Pass subscription service. Code-named "Spartacus", this service is expected to launch in spring for the PS4 and PS5, and it will merge PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now plans. According to the report, Sony might phase out the PlayStation Now branding in favor of the PlayStation Plus one.

With a monthly "Spartacus" subscription, PlayStation console owners will be able to access a range of new and classic games. Bloomberg found that there might be three tiers of subscription. Tier 1 would be similar to the offerings of PlayStation Plus. With Tier 2, subscribers would have further access to PS4 titles and "eventually" PS5 games. Tier 3 would add more options like demos, game streaming and "a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games".

While the report cites the news come from "people familiar with Sony’s plans and documents reviewed by Bloomberg", you might want to take this information with a grain of salt until an official announcement is made public. Nevertheless, would you be interested in such a subscription service from Sony?

:arrow: SOURCE

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
What about PS Now on more regions like here in UAE? I don't care about gamepass but I don't think sony can compete with that unless it's available on all regions.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So, let me get this straight. You use Gamepass to test the games before buying. You do this because you're worried about it being removed.

So instead of playing the game on Gamepass, then buying it if it leaves, you just buy it before it leaves. So for each and every game you complete, before it leaves, you've wasted that money buying the game. Even if you replay it in the future, it could still be on game pass OR might have had a price drop.

Dumbest thing I've read all day.

Um...
I had Gamepass for 20 months and I only used it to try games.

I buy the games I like

Sounds like they didn't find any games they liked on game pass, or not enough to buy one. Sounds like you are the one inserting "the dumb".

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool, but the thing about gamepass is that you get more recent games with the price of a subscription. i already own a good means to play ps1, ps2, psp and ps3 games without a subscription, whereas my xbox series S is the only really good way i can play these newer titles (cuz it's the only modern console i have)
Plus i mean it's a damn good deal
glad sony's actually retaliating with a subscription service of their own though even if it doesnt interest me

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
People like you who are drooling over Nintendo stuff is the reason why they offer shitty and overpriced games/subscription, no offense, but NSO is FAR from being good.
You do realise the majority of NSO users don't post here, don't even know what emulation is and just want to play games? Never seen an average user complain about input lag, they just want to play games.. the vocal are in the minority

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they brought actual backwards compatibility back then people would actually care, but it's gonna be this shitty stop-gap streaming solution I can just tell.
It has to be something else because they already do the streaming option. It's the worst announcement in history if all they do is combine the two services into one without adding anything.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People like you who are drooling over Nintendo stuff is the reason why they offer shitty and overpriced games/subscription, no offense, but NSO is FAR from being good.
Base NSO is fine. The upgraded one is crap though. IMO it should've stayed free since I don't feel like it's any better than the Wii U's online.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, it's just a renaming of existing offers ?
it feels worse to me !

PS+ : what PS+ already is
PS++ : you pay for PS+ and PSnow (maybe lower price), but you don't get what PSNow offers (you miss oldies PS2/PS3 which ARE currently part of PSNow) ... you lose things
PS+++ : you pay more than current PS+ and PSNow to get the exact thing you would have gotten before their merged offer

It's just three different access levels with 3 prices, instead of two different access levels that you can get with 2 different prices now ?
a "single name" to lure people into not feeling like they have to pay for 2 different things.

What I'll find interesting is if they would really work on ADDING oldies, lot and lot of PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/VITA games !
I'd love to see sony work on adding A LOT of old games to their offer, currently PSNow has like 20 oldies for a decade, and nothing were added since :(
We can't buy PS3 or PSVita games anymore on their store, so... how would we play old games ??
If I want to play Eternal Sonata on PS3, should I pirate ? or should it be added to PSNow+ ??

And if they add oldies on the subscription service, they should ALSO add them on a one-by-one shop service, if I want to buy only PS3 Eternal Sonata the same way I can buy PS2 Rogue Galaxy only without a subscription to PSNow.
And, not only "Sony" licensed games, but also third parties! they were sold on PSN until they closed it for old consoles, why couldn't they still sell them on the new system ?

What I can see happening with their maxed subscription offer (if they really want it's possible, they only have to do it), is the "official emulators" that Xbox talked few days ago, something where you buy monthly fee to get a "real emulator" menu similar to retroarch with different cores, with all its options for games supporting them (save state, cheats, rewind, choose file to open, Hi-res and video filters support instead of old and ugly 240p linear pixel zoom on a 8k TV, etc.), not a "per game icon on the XMB" with no user power on how it's launched or played.

Sony wants to attract people, right? they should open to new methods and services and listen to what people like or want.
it's never what companies are doing though, listening... 🙄

Last edited by Cyan,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that i think about it, why not just bring back PS classics? is sony really going to have this be the only way to play retro games or will this be supported alongside PS classics? if it is, then this service is already better than what the hell retardtendo is offering

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Abit late. Already stopped my ps+ subscription months ago when the 7.55 jailbreak became available. I'll stick to gamespass on the xbox

Yep only ever owned 2 PS4 game discs, Destiny and GTA5. Everything else is fpkg.. Since grabbing an Xbox All Access Series X I have not looked back GPU is the future and there's no way on earth Sony will fund a similar service in the same way as MS.

I for one will NEVER pay Sony any money for any form of subscription. I shall buy their overhyped next gen console when its a realistic price and stash it away until its jailbroken. Exactly what i did with my PS4.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't see it being better than Game Pass.
Maybe better than Ubiplay+ or EA shit, but better than Game Pass ? I don't think so. Even if they can only have old games available, I don't think they will actually release a service where you could have all the new releases for cheap. I'd love to see them proving me wrong, but it would be a dream, and so far there's absolutely nothing to tell me that they would actually do something like that.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, let me get this straight. You use Gamepass to test the games before buying. You do this because you're worried about it being removed.

So instead of playing the game on Gamepass, then buying it if it leaves, you just buy it before it leaves. So for each and every game you complete, before it leaves, you've wasted that money buying the game. Even if you replay it in the future, it could still be on game pass OR might have had a price drop.

Dumbest thing I've read all day.
Thanks for your analysis .. it helps me understand how you think and realize I clearly don't think the same way and it's ok (except maybe calling people you don't know dumb). There are many reasons why I buy my games. I like to own what I pay for, I want to play the games I want whenever I want and the most important point that will affect us all, to support the devs. I work for a well know game studio and I know how dangerous a shift to a subscription service could be for the video game industry. Look at the music industry ... Portishead receiving 4k for 16M streams etc.. The same happened to the movie industry. Buying a game encourages the devs directly and allows them to make more quality games. Right now, gamepass works because subscription services aren't the primary way to pay for games and MS is investing a lot to make sure there are also 3rd parties on Gamepass, however MS is working hard to make sure it will become the main way to pay for games and will stop paying as much money to 3rd parties once the platform is healthy enough. Just look at Netflix. They aren't nearly paying as much for 3rd partie movies on their platform anymore and they are mainly doing Netflix originals. It hurts the movie industry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.