PlayStation Experience 2018 event won't be happening this year

MJnBoEB.png

Every year, PlayStation holds the "PlayStation Experience" (PSX) event in Los Angeles, where we get to see what Sony has up their sleeves for the next year, showing off gameplay trailers and making game announcements. Usually, we see the event get dated in around July, shortly after E3, and then takes place in early December, however there has been no news in regards to this year's event. PlayStation's Shawn Layden has explained the reasoning as to why there's so little info; there won't be a PSX this year. He talked about it on the latest PlayStation Blogscast, stating that there's just not enough to show in terms of games, so they'll be holding off on 2018. Not much progress has been made on current projects, and there's a lack of major upcoming games to tease for the PlayStation 4.

The reasons behind that really are we don't have...we have a lot of progress that we're making on our games...Now that we have Spider-Man out the door, we're looking down into 2019 games like Dreams and Days Gone. [...] But we wouldn't have enough to bring people all together in some location North America to have that event. We don't want to set expectations really high and then not deliver on that. It was a hard decision, but we have determined that this year we will not hold PlayStation Experience.

:arrow: Source

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What can possibly justify yet another console iteration so soon?

I mean... The consoles we currently have are more than powerful to run 4k games, stream media, have cloud saves behind subscription models...

Even crossplay!

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What can possibly justify yet another console iteration so soon?

I mean... The consoles we currently have are more than powerful to run 4k games, stream media, have cloud saves behind subscription models...

Even crossplay!
at unlocked 30 fps.

Reactions: Xzi

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, this is pretty sad. It means we won't be getting many games at all in the times to come, which is worrying. That said, I play mostly multiplats anyway, but still.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm expecting them to do smaller upgrades over time, rather than huge shifts like previous gens. I'd imagine a ps5 to be basically a ps4 pro++, meaning a reasonable upgrade with complete backward compatibility. They're going to try and take the cellphone approach, where they have refreshes every few years, with incremental improvements, chopping off support for devices that are old enough to not do well anymore. Think apple. Sony is obviously trying to follow their playbook.

I'm hoping 2019 to be a gangbuster year, what with kingdom hearts 3 and a ff7 remake update.

grey72

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm expecting them to do smaller upgrades over time, rather than huge shifts like previous gens. I'd imagine a ps5 to be basically a ps4 pro++, meaning a reasonable upgrade with complete backward compatibility. They're going to try and take the cellphone approach, where they have refreshes every few years, with incremental improvements, chopping off support for devices that are old enough to not do well anymore. Think apple. Sony is obviously trying to follow their playbook.

I'm hoping 2019 to be a gangbuster year, what with kingdom hearts 3 and a ff7 remake update.
I'm definitely expecting a massive CPU upgrade, the current gen systems have garbage processors. God knows how much of a bottleneck it is. Here's hoping ryzen makes it to ps5/xbox two

Reactions: felix.200

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm definitely expecting a massive CPU upgrade, the current gen systems have garbage processors. God knows how much of a bottleneck it is. Here's hoping ryzen makes it to ps5/xbox two
Agreed! I'm nearly certain it'll be ryzen, though. The timing would be right. It'd probably be based off the first iteration though, and not the second/third one. Gpu, not sure.

Reactions: grey72
D

Deleted User

Interesting they canceled. When was the last time they canceled a main event like this? They say they have no games to show. I find this to be very interesting. Hope it's not a sign of things to come. (Mobile garbage takeover )

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Probably prepping up for ps5 next year. Come to think of it they barely shown any new games last e3 so yeah definitely ps5 is coming.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair there's no point in wasting money, we have already seen what's upcoming so I'd rather save money myself than blow it on an event showing the same games.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My prediction:

They saw how lack luster xbox one exclusives are (I personally like them but acknowledge they have issues), and decided to save all their upcoming exclusives to PS5.

I do not think they will announce PS5 in 2019 because they still have some big ps4 exclusives with no release dates (mainly Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and Last of us 2)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night