1. 8,611

Front-page

PlayStation Japan recently uploaded a video that was intended to highlight some of the biggest releases for the PlayStation 4 this holiday season, but it seems there was more to the music video than first thought. The video featured titles like Death Stranding, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and others, accompanied by clips of animation under the direction of Kevin Bao. These bits of animation are what sparked the controversy, as other artists began to notice that the video used exact animations from other pieces of work from anime and cartoons, such as FLCL, Steven Universe, and Souviens Ten-Zan. A Twitter post below, from Catsuka, shows the exact moments and compares them with what the pieces assumedly originated from.

Once the claims gained traction, Sony took the video down promptly, and quietly. (The above video is a re-upload.) Meanwhile, the studio that was in charge of creating the video, Eallin Animation, stated the following, in regards to the plagiarism claims:

2. Discussion (61 replies)

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

United States
    Damn, I feel bad for Kevin Bao

4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    Wow what a dumb fuck. I can't believe he actually thought he would get away with it :rofl2:

5. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

United States
    The truth is he has probably been getting away with it for a long time

No one gets caught the first time

6. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Well damn, that's.... something.

7. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    Damnit, Kevin.

8. SexySpai

SexySpai Meme Expert and Extraordinaire

United States
    lmao what a dumbass

The_Provider likes this.
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Someone call Phoenix Wright, he is going to need an objection! :creep:

Anonymous456 likes this.
  10. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    ''This comment is COPIED too.''

p.s. from the youtube comments even the song is not original.......

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  11. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Well this dude's life is officially over. He's clearly talented, and you don't reach that point without serious dedication and commitment. But plagiarism is unforgivable and disgusting. I wonder what he was thinking.

Pablitox likes this.
  12. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    He was probably thinking that he'd get caught if he plagiarized a single source, but nobody would notice if he plagiarized five or six different sources. :lol:

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I imagine this is similar to the tracing debate in comics. That said I don't know that I would have caught such things*... might have to be a new skill to add to the pile.

*I once saw a comment on a film review where someone complained about being able to recognise the backlots of film studios of films of a certain vintage (this is to say between location shoots becoming too expensive and the CGI takeover) and this seems similar.

Also while far from ideal, and no objections to things being pulled, laws being pondered and the artist in question being dropped, I don't know how much I am personally willing to diss someone for tracing/quasi rotoscoping. Lazy as anything and way short of inspiration or homage but hard to get all that worked up about.

Eddypikachu and Subtle Demise like this.
  14. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    I hope everyone realizes nothing is original. Everything creative derives or is inspired by something else. Now that being said, this is clearly someone directly copying various animation and tried to get away with it saying its original. He easily could have gotten away with it if he said that the shots are inspired by the various sources. The difference is whether you lie about it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    That may have worked in the age before Internet but not nowadays.

SuzieJoeBob, FateForWindows and Xzi like this.
  16. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    "And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!"

Sorry don't know why I had the need to do a Scooby Doo quote :rofl2:

17. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Reading it I thought it was probably a silly claim, but to be honest after seeing it. Damn it's uncanny

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I am slightly curious now. Dude in question clearly has some skills. Why then they did not maybe copy a start point and end point, fudge the time a bit (skew key points by plus or minus some number of frames or whatever either way), maybe splice something in the middle of the sequence, and set motions accordingly, possibly losing or adding additional elements (I imagine it was all layered anyway), changing angles/mirroring things

I also forgot another one for copied stuff. Way back when some game dev static shotted an oblivion shop for a background to a game and one of the writers on a site noticed where despite many many hours, possibly even in that shop, I would not necessarily have caught it either. https://lotl.fandom.com/wiki/Backgrounds was possibly it, though not the article I remembered.

The_Provider likes this.
  19. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Not surprised. What's wrong with sicko world like that ? Jeez! Dog eat Dog world, indeed. SMH.

20. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

I wonder if this advert was just going to be a Youtube thing only or were there plans to use it for Japanese TV adverts. If it's the latter then oh boy did they get burned so close to Christmas to produce a new advert in time.

21. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Maybe some Chinese company will hire him. I hear they like that sort of thing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, commercial, plagiarism