1. 7,143

Front-page
    Capture.PNG
    Just a month away from launching, PlayStation finally revealed to us a first look at the PS5 user experience in a new video uploaded to the official PlayStation YouTube channel.

The video highlights features like the new control center; activities that are displayed via on-screen cards; picture-in-picture mode; how joining (or declining) parties will look like going forward; a PlayStation Store that is integrated in the console as opposed to a standalone application; and more.

Watch the full video below and then let us know in the comments what features you're most excited (or weary) about.

:arrow: Source

matpower, James_, Moon164 and 11 others like this.
  2. Discussion (72 replies)

3. Ericzander

OP Ericzander Ya-yo, ya-yo! Dreamin'!
    Reviewer

Somalia
    Personally, I want to know more about the activities feature. It shows you how far away you are from completing an in-game objective and how long the system *thinks* it'll take you to complete the activity. If this feature becomes widespread enough I foresee trophy hunting becoming a lot less of a chore in the future.

4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    So...

...just take the PS4 menu, make the default color BG color black, add in some tweaks here and there, and call it a morning?

Looks about right to me.

IDK, I just have to ask, if some of the stuff like Quick Resume and being able to track one's progress towards achievements/trophies/ that and/or in‐game objectives are all that they're selling on top of the next generation of systems, I sure hope that Sony starts improving the PlayStation Now service.

As much as I don't like the concept of streaming a game as opposed to having some form of ownership over it, after having a pleasant experience while playing some fighting games (which can't have lag in any form) via Parsec, I think Sony would be stupid to not try to at least make the PS4 forward compatible by introducing PS5 streaming to one's PS4. Outside of whatever nonsense they want to cram into the DualSense that only first-party games will use, what's to stop one from playing, say, the PS5 version of the next COD on their PS4 via PSNow?

But, I'm not Sony. It's like one generation they have it together, then the next, they seem to struggle with PR.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, Oct 15, 2020 at 3:38 PM
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Looks nice, seems to streamline a lot of things which is always good for a game console.

James_, Moon164, Mr. Looigi and 2 others like this.
  6. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    ah yes, the thumbnail confirms one of the things i find most annoying about using a playstation

constantly having to press the home button because it has a constant form of amnesia and forgets that you're using it, reminding it that the controller is in fact, connected and in use

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  7. Ericzander

Reviewer

Somalia
    Ehhhhh is that what you got out of that video? Looks to me more than some tweaks. This is more of a complete UI overhaul. I suppose logging in looks similar but that's about it. Even the home screen (shown at the 8:25 mark) looks wildly different then the PS4's.

8. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Eh, it doesn't seem that different from what I remember about the PS4's prettier XMB menu was like. At least, for what I used it for. Like, I only used the sub-menus for uninstalling games or managing stuff in regards to it. I'm not the achievement hunter type, myself. I have way too many games to play, and so little time to play them when I'm working the kind of job with the length of travel time that I'll be going to that I'd rather beat a game once (and do side stuff on the way), and then move on to the next one.

Also, I have to admit my comment was more my attempt to get in early my first impression...

9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    While it isn't terrible, can we just go back to the tried-and-true XMB of the PS3/PSP/Retroarch? It's literally perfect.

PKG, TVL, StrayGuitarist and 7 others like this.
  10. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    cant they just reveal the whole thing and set it on sale..jesus...
    Next they are gonna reveal the game cases and a power cable...

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  11. Silent_Gunner

United States
    They could offer the PS3's BG as an option. That thing's still so beautiful to look at even today!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They kind of already revealed the game case format...just invert the colors on a PS4 case's spine and call it a day.

Jayro likes this.
  12. MetoMeto

Japan
    i hate clutered interface. id much reather search my phone and have game screen clean unobstructed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

wow..so original.
    My point was that instead having one big event where they reveal everything at once they split into million parts and announcements and waiting times.

Id more like...here this is ps5 see how it looks in and out...please buy it at that and that time there and there. good bye!

13. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I mean...

...when you reduce marketing down to its core elements and remove all of the techniques, rules, norms, personalities, etc. from the equation, that's kind of what you get, you know?

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  14. MetoMeto

Japan
    I know, and that's what i want. I want the core, not the glitters.

15. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Got to learn how to read between the lines and how to skim through things with precision!

And yeah, not all ad presentations are as simple and to the point as this masterpiece:

16. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The hint and completion feature is really cool, will make it way more fun to 100% games, and I don't have to waste time googling stuff either.

17. shamzie

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Damn, UI looks KLEEN asf. Hopefully everyone will stop bitching about wanting to see it now.

18. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    So PS5 games will have walkthrough videos embedded in them? I really hope these are optional because not only is the idea of having something like this disgusting, they're using premium hard drive space.

19. Ericzander

Reviewer

Somalia
    I'm pretty sure they're not embedded in the game as much as they're just being streamed. I assume you need internet connection to view the videos. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that the video guides will be installed on your SSD.

Ampersound and bodefuceta like this.
  20. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    I have to question how much you've ever used a PS3 or PS4. Because you're obviously unaware of the power saving settings where you can turn that off. If it was "constantly" for you, it's because YOU had it set to shut off the controllers after 10 minutes. There is no "form of amnesia and forgets that you're using it". It's a controller battery saving feature. Try changing it sometime before making inaccurate claims. Thanks.

Codemastershock likes this.
  21. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    So allowing ps5 games to run on a ps4 via streaming? How would that help sales of the ps5 console? That would cost them thousands if not millions in console unit sales right out of the gate and they wouldn't get anything back for it.

And besides, if people want that kind of deal where they can play games that go beyond the fidelity of the machine they are running it on there is already a device for that......stadia...

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, revealed, official