Gaming Playstation 5 PWM signal for fan

Will2i3am

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to repair a console for a friend who broke his 3 wire connector for the fan. It's completely broken from the motherboard and the only voltages I can get are 12v and ground. The pwm signal can't be soldered so does anyone know where else on the motherboard that signal comes from so I can run a jumper wire?

Will2i3am

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trace it with the multimeter
I can try, but the terminal for the pwm doesn't have a way to trace on the motherboard. I can turn the console on and start testing for the voltage, but the voltage fluctuates due to temp changes so it would be fun trying to locate. That is my next step, but I was hoping someone already found the source of that signal

Reactions: cearp

rhoyle69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can try, but the terminal for the pwm doesn't have a way to trace on the motherboard. I can turn the console on and start testing for the voltage, but the voltage fluctuates due to temp changes so it would be fun trying to locate. That is my next step, but I was hoping someone already found the source of that signal
I believe you can use the 12v and ground from the disc drive connector, and theres a PWM square pad on the opposite side of the motherboard. It's on the opposite side that the fan connectors are on. So flip over the board.
Post automatically merged:

You should be able to use the 12v and ground from the disc drive connector, and there's a PWM square pad on the opposite side of the motherboard. So run a wire from back side of motherboard to the fan connector, run junker wire from 12v from disc drive connector, and run jumper wire from ground of disc drive connector.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Here is the pwm point on back side. You have to rout the jumper wire around

Attachments

• PS5-FAN-PWM-POINT_1.jpg
    PS5-FAN-PWM-POINT_1.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: Lb9191

Tizzer390

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe you can use the 12v and ground from the disc drive connector, and theres a PWM square pad on the opposite side of the motherboard. It's on the opposite side that the fan connectors are on. So flip over the board.
Post automatically merged:

You should be able to use the 12v and ground from the disc drive connector, and there's a PWM square pad on the opposite side of the motherboard. So run a wire from back side of motherboard to the fan connector, run junker wire from 12v from disc drive connector, and run jumper wire from ground of disc drive connector.
Is this safe? I don’t want to damage my PS5 more by drawing too many amps through the disc drive power connector.

Last edited by Tizzer390,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Afaik there is only one 12 volt power rails in the PS5 so effectively everything is connected together.
I was surprised though to see that the fan draws 2.4 amps when spinning at full speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt