Hardware "PlayStation 4 Remote Play News is Holding PlayStation Vita Back"

ken28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just stumbeled about that articel and wanted to hear your opinions about the matter.

PlayStation 4 Remote Play News is Holding PlayStation Vita Back

Last night the industry shook with a sort of electric vibrancy not seen in years as the launch of the PlayStation 4 ushered in the era of next-generation of console gaming (sorry Nintendo). While the mass hysteria of the night can be chalked up to needles hype by the skeptical, there is no doubting that the industry needed this infusing of interest.
However it must be said that lost in all the excitement is the fact that leading up to the release of the PlayStation 4 the PlayStation Vita has become a sort of afterthought; restricted to conversation only when associated to its shiny and new home-console counterpart. Magical as it may be, news about Remote Play between PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 has the potential to hinder the success of Sony’s next generation portable through ambiguous marketing.

For a promising and capable piece of kit it seems as though the Vita is being relegated to a PlayStation 4 companion piece.
Despite the common knowledge from within the industry that most PlayStation 4 games support Remote Play (barring titles require any peripheral outside of the DualShock 4, including the PlayStation Camera), most news junkets have flooded their content with confirmations and demonstrations. I say most because we at The Vita Lounge have made a conscious effort to refrain from doing so.
Being realistic I understand that Sony’s early lack of transparency, coupled with the novelty of the functionality tantalized fans and create an appetite for journalists to feed. However this potential tidal wave of redundant content and updates regarding the service could very well flush away all “real” news regarding the Vita, including reviews, previews, and interviews; and ultimately to drag the system under.

True Information and news about PlayStation Vita Software is difficult to come across due to the endless waves of necessary Remote Play coverage.
As it stands today nearly every case of Remote Play is documented ad nauseum, and I fear that even after ”next-gen” becomes “current-gen” this detrimental storm will continue. I foresee a frightening future in which the Vita is relegated to near Wii Game Pad status, and becomes little more than a footnote in the endless PlayStation 4 revelations. Perhaps I am cynical, but given the rampant speculation and reports about the whether or not PS4 launch titles employed the service it’s difficult not to be. Which leads me to the following question:
Even the event that Remote Play is enabled on a PlayStation 4 game , does this qualify as PlayStation Vita news?
My answer is no. Despite the obvious fact that the handheld indeed a partner in the service, I don’t believe that any speculation, confirmations, or denials based upon Remote Play should be filed under PlayStation Vita news. I believe that much like the PlayStation 4, the PlayStation Vita is an amazing platform that plays host to amazing games, and frankly speaking it deserves to be treated as such. Based on its portable nature, outstanding hardware, and unique inputs; the Vita is capable of proving experiences that are unique to the industry.

Tearaway is one of the rare titles on across any platform that purely marries software with hardware.
At the time of this article Media Molecule are preparing to release Tearaway, a new IP that is only possible on the PlayStation Vita. Having a developer of the magnitude of Media Molecule design a brand-new title tailor made for the handheld should be top-flight news, but it’s instead a minnow when compared to the whale that the press seem to be chasing. The word of Flower’s arrival on PS Vita is another great example of how little fan-fare there is when actual content hits the platform. The masterpiece that-according to some- ushered in the “artistic” era of indies on the PlayStation platform wasn’t even listed upon its release, a mistake that nearly went unnoticed due to a lack of focus; and that is what this all boils down to in the end.
We’ve all heard the chatter about how the PlayStation Vita has slumped out of the gate, and we’ve all come to our own conclusions as to why. One of the most common arguments brought up in regards to the “failure” of the Vita is that Sony have not supported it with enough marketing, and that’s as valid a point as any. That being said however, as journalists and fans of the system, part of the onus is on us. At a time when the system plays host to more content than ever, and is set to receive a game that could possibly be the it the defining title of it’s life span; it seems as though we are more interested in whether or not it can play Knack.

Knack runs on PlayStation Vita. We get it. Can we move on now?
Perhaps if reports about Remote Play (in regards to PlayStation Vita news) stopped after confirmation it would be tolerable, but based on the current sample laid in front of us; I feel that it’s highly unlikely. In the case of the aforementioned Knack, after it was absolutely made certain that Remote Play worked with the title and that it was functional, the news never stopped pouring in.
After being discussed in tandem with the PS4 and PS Vita, it seemed that all future information about the game itself got tied to both of the systems by many outlets. What this means is that simply by virtue of the fact that a title supports Remote Play, all updates and reports on the game seemed to get somehow lumped in with the Vita.

Let’s focus on bringing back excitement to the PlayStation Vita.
If you are reading this, it’s more than likely that you share our passion for the Vita and want it to succeed. In order for that to happen we need to be mindful of the means in which we represent it moving forward.
Remote Play is incredible and one of the great bonuses of being a PlayStation Vita owner, but it shouldn’t be the main attraction, and all if we want to see unique experiences on the platform we need to remember that. By all means if you want a two-hundred dollar controller go buy a Wii U (sorry again Nintendo), but otherwise allow the Vita to mature and grow into itself without the burden of playing second fiddle to the PlayStation 4.
Source

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only two things that will bring the Vita back to life are 1. Get the Vita TV overseas and 2. Localization of more games from Japan, unfortunately few want to localize games for the Western market on the Vita, they are scared the games will bomb here. Both need to happen for any chance of success.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
> Useful function released in a firmware update
> Holding the system back

Let's be serious here, nobody's going to buy a PSVita specifically for Remote Play, but it strenghtens its position. Not only that, most future PS4 owners will pay for PSPlus and as time passes and free games stack up on their accounts, every "Sony" gamer is going to have more and more good reasons to buy the system. Remote Play is not a substitute for future releases, it's icing on the cake.

Reactions: Gahars

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only two things that will bring the Vita back to life are 1. Get the Vita TV overseas and 2. Localization of more games from Japan, unfortunately few want to localize games for the Western market on the Vita, they are scared the games will bomb here. Both need to happen for any chance of success.

I'd say another price cut, and more advertising, and more games. I mean, there are quite a few games. But there's none out there right now that really show off the power of the Vita, and none that make it scream "this can only be done on the vita". Killzone is a start, but it needs more.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's wrong with the PSVita's price right now? It's almost the same price as the 3DS while having several times more advanced hardware - there's only so many "cuts" they can make.

The new PSVita 2000 will probably sell for less than the current model due to the use of LCD instead of OLED, that's probably going to stir things up a bit.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
What's wrong with the PSVita's price right now? It's almost the same price as the 3DS while having several times more advanced hardware - there's only so much "cuts" they can make.

The new PSVita 2000 will probably sell for less than the current model due to the use of LCD instead of OLED, that's probably going to stir things up a bit.

150 Euro/$ with a 4 GB Vita card would be nice.
It should be cheaper cause of the LCD screen but not sure if its gonna be.

ken28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's wrong with the PSVita's price right now? It's almost the same price as the 3DS while having several times more advanced hardware - there's only so many "cuts" they can make.

you are really asking that question?
did you saw the prices of the sd cards that are a must?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you are really asking that question?
did you saw the prices of the sd cards that are a must?

Memory cards, they're not SD cards. I'd also like to add that:
  • You only buy a memory card once, it's a one-time expense
  • If you're going to buy physical cartridges, you don't even need a big one
  • Most bundles now have a Memory Card in-box
  • The upcoming PSV-2000 now has integrated memory, so you don't need to buy a Memory Card day 1
  • The 32GB Memory Card costs $72 on Amazon.com right now - around the price of one, two video games
In other words, you're complaining about something completely irrelevant.

ken28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Memory cards, they're not SD cards. I'd also like to add that:
  • You only buy a memory card once, it's a one-time expense
  • If you're going to buy physical cartridges, you don't even need a big one
  • Most bundles now have a Memory Card in-box
  • The upcoming PSV-2000 now has integrated memory, so you don't need to buy a Memory Card day 1
  • The 32GB Memory Card costs $72 on Amazon.com right now - around the price of one, two video games
In other words, you're complaining about something completely irrelevant.
and a single game needs serval gigs.
let alone the update.

ah updates. you wont come far with the 1gig if killzone(or was it cod?)which has a huge patch that you have to apply,become the norm.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh gee whiz? The 4GB card bundled with most PSVita sets these days is big enough for "just patches" and if you want more storage, you buy more storage. The cards are proprietary for a reason - they're a price buffer that allows to sell the console cheaper.

ken28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh gee whiz? The 4GB card bundled with most PSVita sets these days is big enough for "just patches" and if you want more storage, you buy more storage. The cards are proprietary for a reason - they're a price buffer that allows to sell the console cheaper.
yeah we all see how good that puffer works

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yeah we all see how good that puffer works

Works fine with me since I realize that entertainment comes at a price. Quality hardware fetches high prices, it's a mirracle that the PSVita costs as little as it does and the Memory Cards are buffering that low price. It's not an ideal solution and it's not welcome, but it doesn't make the PSVita a bad system. It's not particularily expensive either.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps the one thing that would help the Vita the most would be to lower the price of memory cards by 50%. Those things are so bloody overpriced it's laughable. That and localizing more games outside of Japan :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Perhaps the one thing that would help the Vita the most would be to lower the price of memory cards by 50%. Those things are so bloody overpriced it's laughable. That and localizing more games outside of Japan :P

Western gamers don't want Japanese games though. The weeaboo market is nieche, only big Japanese productions are ever localized because nobody in their right mind would play the average Japanese game.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Western gamers don't want Japanese games though. The weeaboo market is nieche, only big Japanese productions are ever localized because nobody in their right mind would play the average Japanese game.

I must be one of the few people who is an exception to the weaboo thing as I'm relatively fluent in Japanese (reading and speaking). Either way, one can't deny that the Vita needs a boost in the number of games released :P At least the memory card price should be reduced to a more reasonable level and not this $20/ GB crap.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I must be one of the few people who is an exception to the weaboo thing as I'm relatively fluent in Japanese (reading and speaking). Either way, one can't deny that the Vita needs a boost in the number of games released :P At least the memory card price should be reduced to a more reasonable level and not this $20/ GB crap.

Like I said earlier, you only ever buy a Memory Card once and the bundles that are out today mostly have Memory Cards already in the set. Small, albeit functional ones, so "having to buy an expensive Memory Card" is no longer an excuse. Let me do some maths here:

Here's the PSVita "The Walking Dead" bundle - you get the (arguably superior) 3G/WiFi PSVita, a 4GB Memory Card and a digital copy of the game with the 400 Days DLC, hours upon hours of fun for $199.99, and from Gamestop, America's most famous rip-off artist.

Here's the 3DS XL. You get a 4GB SD card and that's it. It's also $199.99.

Gee whiz, it almost looks like you got the game for free... :unsure:

Reactions: GameWinner

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I love when people argue with foxis over Sony stuff, also @ the quote, man, I'm I'm the weird nitch market :c

Reactions: Foxi4

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said earlier, you only ever buy a Memory Card once and the bundles that are out today mostly have Memory Cards already in the set. Small, albeit functional ones, so "having to buy an expensive Memory Card" is no longer an excuse. Let me do some maths here:

Here's the PSVita "The Walking Dead" bundle - you get the (arguably superior) 3G/WiFi PSVita, a 4GB Memory Card and a digital copy of the game with the 400 Days DLC, hours upon hours of fun for $199.99, and from Gamestop, America's most famous rip-off artist.

Here's the 3DS XL. You get a 4GB SD card and that's it. It's also $199.99.

Gee whiz, it almost looks like you got the game for free... :unsure:

Well, to each their own. When you put it that way, it doesn't seem that bad, and yes, Gamestop is America's most famous ripoff artist :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...