"PlayStation 4 Remote Play News is Holding PlayStation Vita Back"

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ken28, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ken28
    OP

ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    I just stumbeled about that articel and wanted to hear your opinions about the matter.

Source

2. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The only two things that will bring the Vita back to life are 1. Get the Vita TV overseas and 2. Localization of more games from Japan, unfortunately few want to localize games for the Western market on the Vita, they are scared the games will bomb here. Both need to happen for any chance of success.

3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Remote Play is not going to kill the Vita.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    > Useful function released in a firmware update
    > Holding the system back

Let's be serious here, nobody's going to buy a PSVita specifically for Remote Play, but it strenghtens its position. Not only that, most future PS4 owners will pay for PSPlus and as time passes and free games stack up on their accounts, every "Sony" gamer is going to have more and more good reasons to buy the system. Remote Play is not a substitute for future releases, it's icing on the cake.

Gahars likes this.
  5. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I'd say another price cut, and more advertising, and more games. I mean, there are quite a few games. But there's none out there right now that really show off the power of the Vita, and none that make it scream "this can only be done on the vita". Killzone is a start, but it needs more.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What's wrong with the PSVita's price right now? It's almost the same price as the 3DS while having several times more advanced hardware - there's only so many "cuts" they can make.

The new PSVita 2000 will probably sell for less than the current model due to the use of LCD instead of OLED, that's probably going to stir things up a bit.

7. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

150 Euro/$ with a 4 GB Vita card would be nice.
    It should be cheaper cause of the LCD screen but not sure if its gonna be.

8. ken28
    OP

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    you are really asking that question?
    did you saw the prices of the sd cards that are a must?

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Memory cards, they're not SD cards. I'd also like to add that:
    • You only buy a memory card once, it's a one-time expense
    • If you're going to buy physical cartridges, you don't even need a big one
    • Most bundles now have a Memory Card in-box
    • The upcoming PSV-2000 now has integrated memory, so you don't need to buy a Memory Card day 1
    • The 32GB Memory Card costs $72 on Amazon.com right now - around the price of one, two video games
    In other words, you're complaining about something completely irrelevant.

10. ken28
    OP

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    and a single game needs serval gigs.
    let alone the update.

ah updates. you wont come far with the 1gig if killzone(or was it cod?)which has a huge patch that you have to apply,become the norm.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh gee whiz? The 4GB card bundled with most PSVita sets these days is big enough for "just patches" and if you want more storage, you buy more storage. The cards are proprietary for a reason - they're a price buffer that allows to sell the console cheaper.

12. ken28
    OP

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    yeah we all see how good that puffer works

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Works fine with me since I realize that entertainment comes at a price. Quality hardware fetches high prices, it's a mirracle that the PSVita costs as little as it does and the Memory Cards are buffering that low price. It's not an ideal solution and it's not welcome, but it doesn't make the PSVita a bad system. It's not particularily expensive either.

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Perhaps the one thing that would help the Vita the most would be to lower the price of memory cards by 50%. Those things are so bloody overpriced it's laughable. That and localizing more games outside of Japan :P

15. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Actually advertising the system will help a lot. Killzone could have sold much better but instead it sold horribly. :(

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Western gamers don't want Japanese games though. The weeaboo market is nieche, only big Japanese productions are ever localized because nobody in their right mind would play the average Japanese game.

GameWinner and BortzANATOR like this.
  17. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I must be one of the few people who is an exception to the weaboo thing as I'm relatively fluent in Japanese (reading and speaking). Either way, one can't deny that the Vita needs a boost in the number of games released :P At least the memory card price should be reduced to a more reasonable level and not this $20/ GB crap.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Like I said earlier, you only ever buy a Memory Card once and the bundles that are out today mostly have Memory Cards already in the set. Small, albeit functional ones, so "having to buy an expensive Memory Card" is no longer an excuse. Let me do some maths here:

Here's the PSVita "The Walking Dead" bundle - you get the (arguably superior) 3G/WiFi PSVita, a 4GB Memory Card and a digital copy of the game with the 400 Days DLC, hours upon hours of fun for $199.99, and from Gamestop, America's most famous rip-off artist.

Here's the 3DS XL. You get a 4GB SD card and that's it. It's also $199.99.

Gee whiz, it almost looks like you got the game for free... :unsure:

GameWinner likes this.
  19. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I love when people argue with foxis over Sony stuff, also @ the quote, man, I'm I'm the weird nitch market :c

Foxi4 likes this.
  20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Well, to each their own. When you put it that way, it doesn't seem that bad, and yes, Gamestop is America's most famous ripoff artist :P