PlayStation 4 lifetime sales reach 96.8 million, closing in on the Wii's massive 101.6 million sold

Nubpu3O.png

When it comes to high-selling video game systems, what pops up in most people's minds are likely the PlayStation 2, the Nintendo DS, and of course, the Nintendo Wii. Now that the most recent financial results have been reported, we can see that Sony's PlayStation 4 is closing in on 100 million units sold, with the PS4 selling a grand total of 96.8 million since the system's launch in 2013. 17.8 mil PlayStation 4s were shipped throughout all of 2018, showing a slight decline in sales compared to last year as it reaches the end of its lifespan, while hype begins to build for the upcoming "PlayStation 5". As of April 2019, the PlayStation 4 is the sixth highest selling video game console of all time, sitting just below the Nintendo Wii's 101.6 million, and above its predecessor, the PlayStation 3, which reached 87.4 million. Sony's company analysts project that around 16 million more PS4s will be sold within 2019, and if that expectation is managed, then that'll put the PlayStation 4 above both the PS1 and the Wii, in terms of sales.

Do you expect the PlayStation 4 to surpass the Nintendo Wii's total sales? With such a successful console on their hands, Sony has a lot to live up to, as they plan for the future and their next home console.

:arrow: Source

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
with the ps5 being hardware backward compatible, I'd image ps4 games will still be developed and ps4 will still be produced for a while after the ps5 is released. So yeah, easily done. go sony.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in practise. The AAA titles might end up needing to be developed in such a way that they only run on ps5 or maybe they will easily adapt. Lesser titles (just dance etc) may just target ps4 hardware.

Sony may sell a cost reduced PSfour/PS4 Super Slim once the PS4 is no longer a premium brand.

Reactions: osaka35

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, one big factor is that ps4, ps4 slim, and ps4 pro are all considered PS4's. this is interesting because while the Wii and PS2 also had different models, none of them were an "enhanced" version. that would be the same as throwing in Wiiu sales on top of Wii sales as it still plays Wii games but is an enhanced console. the added enhancement from the PS4 pro is enough to make some people double dip and buy two consoles effectively, or get people who wouldn't have bought a ps4 to buy it because of its new capabilities.

Last edited by omgcat,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How exactly did they even manage this? The Wii seems like it was way more popular than the PS4. Like I could ask anyone if they've played the wii, including old people and they'd say yeah. Imagine asking some old fart if they own a PS4. maybe it's just because the world's population is bigger.
Straight forward answer the wii had less better games than the ps4

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
How exactly did they even manage this? The Wii seems like it was way more popular than the PS4. Like I could ask anyone if they've played the wii, including old people and they'd say yeah. Imagine asking some old fart if they own a PS4. maybe it's just because the world's population is bigger.
That's because the Wii had casual appeal during a time when the casual market wasn't focused on smart phones and tablets, so "old people" were part of the target audience of the Wii. And since it had more of a casual appeal, "hardcore gamers" were more likely to pick the 360/PS3 over the Wii since it had the more popular titles that gamers wanted at the time. It was less a "successful" gaming console and more of a fluke that Nintendo got lucky with.

The PS4, on the other hand, has mainly a "gamer" target audience, it's not for Grandma to do the occasional 10 minutes of exercise on Wii Fit, so of course a random old person isn't going to have one. And, since the PS4 is considered to be the "go-to" console for gamers, and the Xbone is doing quite poorly, the market share is heavily in favor of the PS4, resulting in nearly 100 million sales.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn it. Until I read that number I really thought the switch had the capability to get up there with the likes of the Wii but I guess it won't because of the sales projections. Maybe if Nintendo would listen to their consumers? At least Sony is a pain in the ass but finally listens if enough people are pushing for it. I swear if anyone here gets a interview with anyone at Nintendo ask them the tough questions cause I want answers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you can say FUCK in here no need to censor it :P
I believe this was a jab at Sonys Censorship

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go buy one 14th May rage 2 being released

A multi-platform title is imo a terrible reason to buy a console. Wouldn't it make more sense to say "Buy one before The Last of Us 2 is released, so you can play the first one and all of the other great PS4 exclusives."

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s a staggering statistic, I think. I never remember that FIFA exists until I have to look up sales records for games.
See at least with the switch the Games are actually original. I swear you better get a interveiw with someone at Nintendo and ask them why the switch OS is lackluster?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr