PlayStation 4 gets 6.0 firmware update as well

IMG_1316.JPG

If you thought Nintendo was the only one with a big 6.0 firmware update releasing soon, then you were wrong. Because Sony has just pushed out a surprise update for PlayStation 4 version 6.0 firmware. In terms of features, it does absolutely nothing except state "This system software update improves system performance," which is akin to a stability update. What makes things baffling is that this is a major milestone update of a new version number, yet it offers no new features or offer anything relevant. The last time we saw a firmware update that added new content was 5.50, which added a supersampling mode to PS4 Pro consoles. All regions can now download the 447 megabyte patch by going to the system update menu. Of course if you're looking for homebrew, then you might want to hang on and stay at the firmware you've already got.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we already know 6.0 wasn't going to offer anything big though? Like, the beginning of August is when the Beta version went out to testers, it was well known that 6.0 was only designed to fix bugs and "improve performance".

Disgusting. I want new features and better performances in my game! We never getting backwords compatibility like xbox one? :blink:
The PS4 will never have physical backwards compatibility like the Xbox One. The best you can hope for is PS1 and PS2 classics, and that's it. The PS3's hardware is too unique to emulate on something as weak as the PS4.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we already know 6.0 wasn't going to offer anything big though? Like, the beginning of August is when the Beta version went out to testers, it was well known that 6.0 was only designed to fix bugs and "improve performance".
Came here just to say this. This update wasn't random, it was in beta for a while.

So technically speaking, Nintendo is trying to copy Sony :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 will never have physical backwards compatibility like the Xbox One. The best you can hope for is PS1 and PS2 classics, and that's it. The PS3's hardware is too unique to emulate on something as weak as the PS4.
Xbox one doesn't have physical compatibility either. You just put in the disc and it detects the game and downloads it from the xbox store if it's on there. Don't see why PS4 can't allow the same. But since they only have ps2 games on the store (Which is not much to begin with) and they been pushing that playstation now with all the ps3 games on it. OF course they wasn't planning anything like xbox did. Least let people who own ps3 games play them on playstation now if they own the disc. :ninja:

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox one doesn't have physical compatibility either. You just put in the disc and it detects the game and downloads it from the xbox store if it's on there. Don't see why PS4 can't allow the same. But since they only have ps2 games on the store (Which is not much to begin with) and they been pushing that playstation now with all the ps3 games on it. OF course they wasn't planning anything like xbox did. Least let people who own ps3 games play them on playstation now if they own the disc. :ninja:
The PS3 had a very weird architecture. No way in hell the PS4 can emulate the PS3.

They can definitely do PS1 and PS2 BC through emulation if they really wanted to.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
hqdefault.jpg

From now forth, game consoles should be called updating machines, they update most often then they are used for gaming. The hat as spoken.

Disgusting. I want new features and better performances in my game! We never getting backwords compatibility like xbox one? :blink:

Well, XBox one doesn't really have retrocompatibility, but rather have XBox 360 games recompiled in their servers and will download them once you put the corresponding disk on the machine. It is not reading the disk, except for the label.

For that Sony would have to do a huge investment like Microsoft did and would require game developers to be on board with it and recompile their code or provide Microsoft with the source. Aside that Microsoft has the PlayStation Now horse in the game, and it is against their interest to provide a free alternative when there is a popular subscription one.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well, XBox one doesn't really have retrocompatibility, but rather have XBox 360 games recompiled in their servers and will download them once you put the corresponding disk on the machine. It is not reading the disk, except for the label.

For that Sony would have to do a huge investment like Microsoft did and would require game developers to be on board with it and recompile their code or provide Microsoft with the source. Aside that Microsoft has the PlayStation Now horse in the game, and it is against their interest to provide a free alternative when there is a popular subscription one.
The games aren't "recompiled" at all, they're just repackaged into an emulator. Much like how Nintendo's VC games are just ROMs packaged into an emulator.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They already do ps1 and ps2 emulation, this is why you can create ps2 classics from isos.
PS1 too? :unsure:

I've only seen PS2 and PSP (although apparently the PSP emulator isn't great).

I meant more akin to the PS3 though. They haven't really done much with the emulators. Whether it be reselling you games digitally or allowing you to use your discs.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's definitely more than 'stability' updates, hence the lengthy beta; the search function for the store has been overhauled, and they're supposedly implementing the ability to change your gamertag... and I'm still hopeful for backwards compatibility - certainly not PS3, but PS2 is proven to work on exploited systems already so Sony could easily roll that one out.

Came here just to say this. This update wasn't random, it was in beta for a while.

So technically speaking, Nintendo is trying to copy Sony :P
Yeah, I was going to post the same thing myself.
The only surprise update from Sony this week was 3.69 for the Vita.

Reactions: Supster131

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely more than 'stability' updates, hence the lengthy beta; the search function for the store has been overhauled, and they're supposedly implementing the ability to change your gamertag... and I'm still hopeful for backwards compatibility - certainly not PS3, but PS2 is proven to work on exploited systems already so Sony could easily roll that one out.

Good. The store has been needing a good overhaul for a while, between functionality and speed. Not getting my hopes up for backwards compatibility though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate...