PlayStation 4 firmware version 8.00 is now live, streamlines Messages, adds new avatars

x5wEqGv.png

Don't you love updates? PlayStation sure does, as they've just rolled out the latest firmware update for the PlayStation 4. The console has reached the milestone of version 8.00, and with it comes a handful of new features: PS4 Messages and Party now sport a new UI, and have become more streamlined as both now use the same "groups", meaning you can set up online parties and send messages without constantly switching between two different applications like before. A new set of avatars have also been added, letting you select new profile pictures from games like Bloodborne, Journey, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, and Uncharted 4.

Remote Play has gotten an overhaul as well, with the mobile application changing its name from PS4 Remote Play to PS Remote Play. This adds support for streaming your PlayStation 5 to your mobile device, which will be usable once the system launches. Lastly, 2-Step Verification now allows third-party applications to be used to verify your login attempt,, instead of just using text messages. The full feature list can be seen below, on the official PlayStation Blog.

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad they finally added a better TFA system, that's nice.

The rest of the stuff though, meh.

Unexpected side effect of the new party voice chat is a lot of uproar about Sony's policy to "record" voice chats so people can report abuse, since they show a new, upfront message when you open a voice chat now about how conversations are recorded (as opposed to it being buried in their TOS).

Apparently people forgot they started doing that in 2013 when the PS4 launched, so everyone is nice and butthurt again over something that's been happening for 7 years now :lol:

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They took away the ability to make a private chat with only yourself in it.

This was used for games where you don't want to listen to people with microphones because of said game not giving the option to mute mic's or disable in-game voice chat.

The only way to make a private chat now is to use a 2nd or a throwaway account to add to a party.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They took away the ability to make a private chat with only yourself in it.

This was used for games where you don't want to listen to people with microphones because of said game not giving the option to mute mic's or disable in-game voice chat.

The only way to make a private chat now is to use a 2nd or a throwaway account to add to a party.
Oof really? I was happy to hear you can mute your microphone without having to create a party by yourself but seeing that scenario makes me wonder why they took away the feature. Probably didn't want recordings of people talking to themselves :rofl2:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only version 8.0 Nintendo switch already on 10.2 and don't get me started on 3DS 15.0 :creep:

I can guarantee nintendo would've had an update that just included avatars and possibly a new key to block xecuter and that's it. no themes, no save exporting, no vc, no achievements. it pisses me off as a legit user or should I now say llegit oser. there's no point in staying legit when nintendo couldn't care less about their fans. they just care about that fraction of a percent who hack their systems.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank god for that 2 step authentication change. I was locked out of my account for 3 weeks straight because my phone will glitch with text messages sometimes. Maybe now it'll be worth reenabling it.

there was/is no way to send an email? I turned on two-step on the switch after that switch data breach. I just stay signed in on the pc, which is how I always buy my games. I never have to input that code while I'm signed in, not sure if that's good or not wise, but it works.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can guarantee nintendo would've had an update that just included avatars and possibly a new key to block xecuter and that's it. no themes, no save exporting, no vc, no achievements. it pisses me off as a legit user or should I now say llegit oser. there's no point in staying legit when nintendo couldn't care less about their fans. they just care about that fraction of a percent who hack their systems.
Not gonna lie, I never was enthusiastic about themes on 3DS. Never bought any, but I wish there was some, my switch is so boring everytime I look at the home screen with no music playing, some flashing background or animated... anything.

I don't think save exporting will ever be a thing. It wasn't on wii u and probably to avoid save modding exploits, which is why the the online cloud thing was probably even considered.

Virtual console is "dead" as far as I know. It sucks for most people, but since most companies have compilations and collections of games that they publish instead (Mega man legacy collection, castlevania collection, sega classic collection) it was probably safer for them to just get what they can and add them to the online subscription (even though people prefer to just pay for what they want, not packaged with stuff they don't. Though I probably never would have bought stuff like wario's woods, nes open golf, or what not, least it got me to try something new. Is more like "well played" than praise. Though I'm not mad I played wario's woods. :ninja:

And achievements while I guess people like them, is sad that is not on nintendo. Though they are tied to games specifically, but aren't the same value as playstation trophies where you show off to your friends how much of a die hard gamer you was for your favorite games. (Though I'm not fond of some that make you look foolish and even silly or berate you for getting them. Joke trophies) though others especially in fighting games are just straight bad. Focused on multiplayer and securing win streaks in poor online environments. :blink:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're probably right. I don't get themes though. I'm using the black one atm. vc will probably just stay with nso as will saves. saves and some vc games are the only reason I'm a member. I've yet to play a game online, and I've been an nso member for like a year or something. my subscription date is coming up on the 30th I believe of this month. I could've sworn that there was some interview with Miyamoto where he said that achievements detracted from what made games fun. no idea where he gets that from, but if he said that, I'm sure we'll never see them on any future nintendo console.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad they finally added a better TFA system, that's nice.

The rest of the stuff though, meh.

Unexpected side effect of the new party voice chat is a lot of uproar about Sony's policy to "record" voice chats so people can report abuse, since they show a new, upfront message when you open a voice chat now about how conversations are recorded (as opposed to it being buried in their TOS).

Apparently people forgot they started doing that in 2013 when the PS4 launched, so everyone is nice and butthurt again over something that's been happening for 7 years now :lol:

God forbid people care about their privacy for once

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is the two-step-authenitcation change something limited to specific regions? It being limited to SMS is what is holding me back, I'd like to use Authy instead to keep all my 2-steps in a convenient app, but I can only select SMS/Text Message when I try to enable it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No menting of the change in events and not being able to make any more.
I quote:
Removal of Event Creation and Private Community Creation
After 8.00, you will no longer be able to create Events or access existing Events created by other users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning