PlayStation 4 firmware version 8.00 is now live, streamlines Messages, adds new avatars

x5wEqGv.png

Don't you love updates? PlayStation sure does, as they've just rolled out the latest firmware update for the PlayStation 4. The console has reached the milestone of version 8.00, and with it comes a handful of new features: PS4 Messages and Party now sport a new UI, and have become more streamlined as both now use the same "groups", meaning you can set up online parties and send messages without constantly switching between two different applications like before. A new set of avatars have also been added, letting you select new profile pictures from games like Bloodborne, Journey, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, and Uncharted 4.

Remote Play has gotten an overhaul as well, with the mobile application changing its name from PS4 Remote Play to PS Remote Play. This adds support for streaming your PlayStation 5 to your mobile device, which will be usable once the system launches. Lastly, 2-Step Verification now allows third-party applications to be used to verify your login attempt,, instead of just using text messages. The full feature list can be seen below, on the official PlayStation Blog.

:arrow: Source

BrolysSecondComing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They took away the ability to make a private chat with only yourself in it.

This was used for games where you don't want to listen to people with microphones because of said game not giving the option to mute mic's or disable in-game voice chat.

The only way to make a private chat now is to use a 2nd or a throwaway account to add to a party.
Does this updatebreak hacks and homebrew "backed up games on your hard drive" thingies

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
God forbid people care about their privacy for once
Of course, privacy is very important, which is why I think it's quite funny that all these people who seem to care very much about their privacy just happened to up and forget (or seemingly never knew) that, oh yeah, Sony has been doing this exact thing since the day the PS4 hit the shelves in 2013. It just goes to show that these same people will just up and completely forget about their privacy after a few years anyways. I'm just glad Sony is being more upfront about it as opposed to just leaving it buried in the ToS somewhere.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the two-step-authenitcation change something limited to specific regions? It being limited to SMS is what is holding me back, I'd like to use Authy instead to keep all my 2-steps in a convenient app, but I can only select SMS/Text Message when I try to enable it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I quote:
I ment noone had mentioned it in this thread. Thought it was a nice feature they just decided to stop for no apparent reason.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
2 Step Verification

50480513428_a5a796dc09_b.jpg

I really hate this 2 Step Verification!!! :evil::evil:

Why need 2 Step Verification? I don't have mobile phone. No need that. I'm old school gamer that buy game disc only, not buy digital download. Reason why digital is bad idea.

If people bought digital games on PS store. If what happen if their account hacked then can't get all game library back.

Old school gamer is winner means hackers would never steal our real game on disc / cartridge by our hands in real life than internet (false life - digital). Digital are ruin people life.

I stay old school since Nintendo Entertainment System to Nintendo Wii, Gameboy Color to New Nintendo 3DS XL and PS4 that use game cartridge and disc. I already skipped Nintendo Wii U and Switch due to hardware problems and still wait for Switch Pro / Switch 2 instead. I have zero problems for many years.

Forget about digital is one big problems if what internet going broke later in near future means they can't get back then lost forever. Hackers and internet are hate.

Last edited by console,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
2 Step Verification
If people bought digital games on PS store. If what happen if their account hacked then can't get all game library back.
That's the whole point of 2FA, you can't just "get your account hacked" when the "hacker" would need an authentication code from you phone/from a dedicated app which only you would be able to provide.

Chains

GBAtemp Drifter
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Increasing game prices to $70, telling the PS userbase they will spy on them & releasing broken updates.
Sony is off to a great start right before the PS5 launch :!:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe this is a stupid question, but why would anyone buy the ps5 version when the ps4 version, which is ten dollars less, has a free upgrade to the ps5 version? wtf!?

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 Step Verification

50480513428_a5a796dc09_b.jpg

I really hate this 2 Step Verification!!! :evil::evil:

Why need 2 Step Verification? I don't have mobile phone. No need that. I'm old school gamer that buy game disc only, not buy digital download. Reason why digital is bad idea.

Old school gamer is winner means hackers would never steal our real game on disc / cartridge by our hands in real life than internet (false life - digital). Digital are ruin people life.

I stay old school since Nintendo Entertainment System to Nintendo Wii, Gameboy Color to New Nintendo 3DS XL and PS4 that use game cartridge and disc. I already skipped Nintendo Wii U and Switch due to hardware problems and still wait for Switch Pro / Switch 2 instead. I have zero problems for many years.

Forget about digital is one big problems if what internet going broke later in near future means they can't get back then lost forever. Hackers and internet are hate.
Reading this made my brain hurt.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as much as it's a pita to use 2-step, I just stay signed in on the pc. I have nso linked to my paypal account, so I just use that to make purchases of which I've made a lot of them. I have 123 games thus far with maybe 300GBs left on a 1TB micro sd card. I know that if some other device tries to sign in to my account, I'll get an email about it. imo, that's the easiest way. irony is that it's all thanks to sony not caring about customers' security that makes most people now don't save their information or even go the 2 step route.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)