Firmware PlayStation 4 firmware version 7.00 to go live this week, adds remote play enhancements

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 7, 2019.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I would go to henry's party just to see a 7.00 ps4 in person.

2. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Ummmm. Are you already on the 7.00 FW that hasn't been released yet? That's probably why isn't not working. LOL!

3. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I supposed it depends on if you're going to be playing with a controller or not. The Vita works very nicely for games that don't require R2/L2. Certainly better than touch controls.

But if you'll be using a controller, you might as well use your phone. But you'll probably want a mount for the phone or a clip to connect the controller to it. I imagine there is a learning curve on how to hold it. And it will look goofy in public.

4. ignare

ignare Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2019
    United States
    I just wish Remote Play didn't look so lame and dreary on a PS Vita lol

5. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    I just wonder if there is less lag / more resolution using an Iphone or Android. I do like remote playing on a Vita it looks sharp, but the lag is pretty noticable. I don't have a PS4 anymore but I'm thinking of getting a Slim soon. As for controls, I'm thinking of either getting L2/R2 grip for Vita or get the stand adapter for the PS4 controller. I don't stream outside. I just don't have a TV for myself.

Last edited by tatumanu, Oct 7, 2019
  6. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    Finally makes the remote play available to everyone on android but also fucks over people like me who happen to be on 4.x.x by raising the version requirement by 1 -.-

7. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    4.0.0 is ancient now, you can get a smartphone for less than 150$ thats on Android 9 pie.

8. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    I'm referring to the Android app itself. Google Play says it's not compatible with my 5.0 device. Guess we'll see if they update it alongside the PS4 firmware.

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I will skip it and stick with 5.05. Thank you very much, Sony. It is very useless anyway. Really.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Oct 8, 2019
    AngryCookie likes this.
  10. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Android FINALLY gets Remote Play! I've been waiting forever for this.

So, what's the limitations on Remote Play? Do you have to be on the same network, or does Wi-Fi work? I'm usually at the college, and my PS4 is at home. Since I normally play RPGs, lag isn't too much of an issue for me. Could I use my phone and access my PS4 between classes?

I'm mainly asking because the last time I tried it, I did Remote Play to my PC, and Moonlight to stream my PC to my phone. Technically, it worked, but I couldn't control anything from my phone. It was a pretty complicated setup, didn't even fully work in the end, and was spread across two local networks, so I don't quite remember which stream managed what. (The PS4 and PC were plugged in directly via network cables, while my phone was using the local Wi-Fi, which I *think* counted as a separate network)

11. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    well I guess this just reinforcing how broke I am :/

12. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant foxcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    imagine having 16 friends

13. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    I guess I'll give it anoughter few years before I update to the latest firmware since I still have 6.20,which can use the userland exploit.If time goes by and no kernel exploit comes out by 2021 or 2022,I'll have to update and get a 5.05 ps4 separately.

14. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    Glad to see Sony has finally swallowed their pride and has admitted basically that their Xperia phone line isn't popular enough to lock out an entire feature.

15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Darn, I was hoping they would improve it for the Vita since it gets pixelated a lot.

16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Hahaha. You will have the latest exploit soon than you thought. :)

17. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    You could always root your device to upgrade to a newer version of Android not officially supported by the OEM.

18. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    The Horizon is the Switch OS, not PS4, silly you.

19. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    I have tried looking into that but I can't find much of anything for my tablet in particular

20. Bryan1986

Bryan1986 Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You cant use dual shock 4 on it