Playstation 2 with matrix infinity chip doesn't play Final Fantasy VII international

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried playing some US PS1 games through PS3 on a CRT and all I got was black and white colors. My cable looks like three cables and it goes towards a scart thingie. Does that mean it isn't really scart?
No it's not scart, that's just a composite cable connected to a scart adapter, it doesn't magically change the wiring, that's why it shows up black and white for you.
You need to get one with the scart head instead, there are cheaper Chinese ones out there, not great as some of them show some noise in the picture, though it's totally up to you..
I would recommend using a component cable, OEM preferably, either ones included with the PS2 or PS3 they're basically the same, either your tv has component inputs or not you can get a component to scart adapter, the only you need to worry about is the audio wires can't plug in said adapter and you need to either plug them into a receiver, or an cheap external DAC, or get one of these with an extender cable to connect with headphones..

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK guys so after a lot of searching and trial and error, disk 1 of the Japanese FFVII was just faulty. It didn't make sense at first because the disk itself looks fine, no scratches or anything.
But I tried it on another PS2 (unmodded, Japanese) and it still didn't work.
Also the black and white thing was fixed by having a real RGB scart cable. Thanks all for trying to help!

Reactions: CoolMe and Rikua

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys so after a lot of searching and trial and error, disk 1 of the Japanese FFVII was just faulty. It didn't make sense at first because the disk itself looks fine, no scratches or anything.
Also the black and white thing was fixed by having a real RGB scart cable. Thanks all for trying to help!
As you said, there are no scratches or visible marks right? Out of curiosity, have you tried holding it up to a light? I just did that the other night with my Chrono Cross discs and I can see some rot forming from the center outward. As I said, just curious as it would be really strange if the disc was pressed faulty lol

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be sure, you should rip it on your pc and compare the hash (for your CD version) with the one on the redump database, if it completes the ripping process successfully that is (highly unlikely).

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I can't see anything up to a light, because it's a PS1 title, a black label disk.
At least no 'holes' in the data or anything appears.
To be sure, you should rip it on your pc and compare the hash (for your CD version) with the one on the redump database, if it completes the ripping process successfully that is (highly unlikely).
how do I do that?

Last edited by duskfall,

MottZilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see anything up to a light, because it's a PS1 title, a black label disk.
At least no 'holes' in the data or anything appears.

how do I do that?
You can use a program like ISOBuster to extract a Raw image of the disc. Then you can compare the hash values to the redump hash values here: http://redump.org/disc/8233/

The easiest would be to zip the file and compare CRC32 values. However the MD5 or SHA-1 hashes would be preferred. You can use this site to generate a MD5 hash from your dump.
http://onlinemd5.com/

If the disc is in good condition your dump *should* match the redump hash values. However if some data is unreadable for any reason then the hash value would be different.

The disc could be defective without any visual clues. But sometimes holding it up to a bright light and looking to see if you can see it shining through the disc does reveal problems. It may have already been mentioned but CD's are actually quite vulnerable on the label side to damage that could render the disc unreadable. The data side of the disc actually has significantly more material protecting it. And as long as scratches on the data side aren't too deep you could resurface it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay