PS1/2 Playstation 2 Fix?

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I turn on my PS2 Slim, the screen flutters exactly like when you try to watch an old broken VHS. I cannot get it to stop doing that, and I've tried more than one pair of cables so that isn't the issue. Anybody know what is wrong?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is might be the A/V input on your TV
do other devices when plugged into those exact ports do the same thing?

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Yeah, I thought it was that at first too, but then I tried two different sets of cables with two different TV's. Definitely the PS2.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CorruptJon said:
Joe88 said:
Yeah, I thought it was that at first too, but then I tried two different sets of cables with two different TV's. Definitely the PS2.
Get a new PS2
tongue.gif
? But really you can buy one for about $40 (slim) if you look hard.

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
CorruptJon said:
Joe88 said:
Get a new PS2
tongue.gif
It's chipped, so I'd rather not.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What chip? , if it's any of the ones with a config menu , if you've been screwing around in there you could of forced a video output that your tv don't like .

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CorruptJon said:
playallday said:
CorruptJon said:
Joe88 said:
Get a new PS2
tongue.gif
It's chipped, so I'd rather not.
Whatever. I softmodded mine and I have 100% so far. Try what Armadillo said.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Softmods on PS2 for playing games leave a lot to be desired: namely disc swapping and disc patching/rebuilding for problematic games. With cheap chips (DUO 3 Ultra, Modbo 4.0) there's not much of a reason not to hardmod (assuming you are capable).

+1 for the PS2 going into Pal mode. If you have a tv with picture in picture you can usually see things in Pal mode (in B&W at least) with it. At least then you wouldn't have to fumble your way through the menu. And if you told us what chip you were using then we might be able to help you find the way to change it back. (If it is a Matrix/clone then triangle+O on boot enters the menu and the first option is for the screen output.)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I didn't know about the ESR exploit. I had previously used the MCLoader exploit (which was the one I was referring to) that relied upon a PS1 original to boot and then a double swap.
tongue.gif
Interesting exploit... Too bad it took ~8 years.
wacko.gif

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what the chip inside it is. I'm almost certain that the problem is not caused by it though, since the PS2 was recently dropped. I was thinking a ribbon cable got loose or something but I'd rather not poke around in there unless I'm sure that's what the problem is.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really should have said that it started happening after it was dropped in the first place. Since there isn't any ribbon cable responsible for the picture output (it is built into the motherboard) there isn't any chance that it is as simple as a ribbon cable being loose/disconnected. However, it's possible one of the wires from the chip got disconnected and/or is shorting out a different place on the board. Are you getting audio fine?

Anyway you or someone else will have to open it up in order to (attempt to) fix it.

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
You really should have said that it started happening after it was dropped in the first place. Since there isn't any ribbon cable responsible for the picture output (it is built into the motherboard) there isn't any chance that it is as simple as a ribbon cable being loose/disconnected. However, it's possible one of the wires from the chip got disconnected and/or is shorting out a different place on the board. Are you getting audio fine?

Anyway you or someone else will have to open it up in order to (attempt to) fix it.
Thing is, it was dropped over two weeks ago, and it didn't start after being dropped in the first place, so I didn't think that was the problem. Everything is fine except the audio and video in the menu are extremely shaky. I just tested it though, and the PS2 works flawlessly after passing the menu, both originals and backups playing perfectly.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. In my mind I pictured something more like a rolling screen. It still could be Pal getting outputted during the menu and for some strange reason not in a game. If it jumps up and down but not left and right then it would point to this as the cause. Since it only happens in the menu it's probably not that big of a deal for you and more of a curiosity? Too bad you don't know what chip you have so you could access the menu (if any). I'll just assume it isn't a Matrix/clone since it proudly shows its logo upon bootup.

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
Ah. In my mind I pictured something more like a rolling screen. It still could be Pal getting outputted during the menu and for some strange reason not in a game. If it jumps up and down but not left and right then it would point to this as the cause. Since it only happens in the menu it's probably not that big of a deal for you and more of a curiosity? Too bad you don't know what chip you have so you could access the menu (if any). I'll just assume it isn't a Matrix/clone since it proudly shows its logo upon bootup.
Well yeah, it isn't too much of a problem, but the thing is, with this problem I cannot access my memory cards to delete stuff. I don't know what else could be wrong but I might just open it up and see what chip it is.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could use Codebreaker to manage your memory card. Or you could burn a ulaunchelf iso which would also give you access to the memory card (but it would be a filesystem structure with the directories labeled with the game IDs so you would have to look them up to tell which was for what game so it would be less than ideal for save management).

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just opened it up and this is the chip that was inside:

5xkapu.jpg

Some of the solder points look pretty bad, but I don't even think I have a soldering iron that is small enough for resoldering those points.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Those are some pretty nasty joints indeed. I bet the motherboard points are even worse. I wouldn't mess with the chip at all. Just use CB to do save managing and let good enough be.
unsure.gif

CorruptJon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
Wow! Those are some pretty nasty joints indeed. I bet the motherboard points are even worse. I wouldn't mess with the chip at all. Just use CB to do save managing and let good enough be.
unsure.gif
Alright, thanks for all of your help, I'll just get a codebreaker for memory card management.

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CorruptJon said:
Some of the solder points look pretty bad, but I don't even think I have a soldering iron that is small enough for resoldering those points.
I'd try to at least remove the chip so maybe you can sell it for soemthing if you don't use it anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands