Playing Xbox Originals on Live can get you banned?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by SkH, Aug 24, 2009.

Aug 24, 2009
  1. SkH
    OP

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Hey guys, so I'm wondering how is this working.

I haven't seen anything on this matter, Xbox Original games don't have any stealth things, etc.

So, can I play with Xbox Original games on Live without getting banned? How does that work?

Also can I just get an old Xbox game and put it in my 360 and play without a problem? It just works?

Oh and as a side-question, in the old times, with Xbox Original, there was any banning at all?

I'm new to this so I don't know, thanks for the help!

2. Nekrosses

Member Nekrosses GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    You cant get banned for playing originals on live.
    I Play halo 2 all the time on live.

3. SkH
    OP

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Ah I see, thanks!

And Xbox Original Live is free? Why do you play Halo 2 when there's Halo 3 already out there, and ODST's coming soon?

4. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    perhaps, some people dont buy the sequels due to lack of money or not interested?

5. The_Hulkster

Member The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

I guess what he's also wondering about is whether or not you can get banned by playing a copy of an "xbox 1" game as those games don't have any stealth patches.

And if he's not, I certainly am now [​IMG] Really itching to play KOTOR 1 and 2.

Besides, were there any bannings on the original xbox because of copied games?

6. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    You could be banned on original Xbox only for using a modchip. I think.

7. The_Hulkster

So in theory, this shouldn't get you banned quite as easy as 360 backups? I wonder if they even check xbox 1 backups like they do with 360 backups

It's really hard to find any info on this matter.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There was another thread on this the other day: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=176402 (actually it was newer than this thread originally so I guess I should rephrase that).

You can not really compare an original xbox to the state of the 360 but the thing that unites them all (or at least should do) is that there needs to be a way to detect that someone is doing something that is not within the agreement for live... owing to the methods used detection is/was fairly easy for the original xbox (hacked kernels and the like) while the 360 is decidedly harder (we bypass the authentication at a drive level which is the only level at which it is checked) or we would all be banned.

Again nobody knows the exact methods of banning but we strongly suspect it has to do with bad copies of games; why good dumping/sources are suggested along with checking.

The other side of it is nobody has had the information on just running copied originals (why would you when an original xbox is so easy to mod and better for original xbox games) and given it is a feature of some 360s to run games why would anyone get banned for it when doing it on the level?

9. The_Hulkster

Well, to answer your question why someone would play a backup of an xbox 1 game. It could be any number of reasons really.
    In my case it's a matter of space. Or better yet, a lack of.
    It's already too cluttered around my tv as it is, with cables and such. Another xbox would only make it worse.

Also, some people might not have an original xbox and don't feel like spending extra cash on one just to play 1 or 2 games. But I understand what you're saying and it probably would be a whole lot easier to just set up the original xbox.

But to get back on topic, what you said is indeed true. There's probably not a single 360 out there that has solely played xbox original copies which makes it hard to tell if any has gotten banned because of that.
    However, maybe some people here may have played numerous xbox original copies on their 360 without getting banned. This might be nice to know.
    And perhaps someone has some other info on how stealth and safe xbox original backups (that have been made "360 compatible") are.

I'm not quite sure how the bans were done in the days of the original xbox but wasn't there any kind of stealth protection?
    Really just worried about the backups that have been made compatible with the 360, as it makes them larger to fit a DL DVD. Why this is, I just don't know.

Seems to me it changes the ISO, making it larger thus changing it. As far as I've heard, changing any ISO and playing that will result in a ban.
    But apparently the ISO gets patched as well, not sure how this is done either.

Anyway, I'll just go back to my dark thoughts about XBL bans. If anyone has any light to shed on this matter, it would be much appreciated.

And thank you FAST, for your informative and elaborate reply and explanation. [​IMG]

10. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I tried using the guide provided in the other thread and got all the way to actually making the DVD9 and I get an error saying "No Video Found" or something similar.
    Did i miss a step?

11. upbumpo190

Member upbumpo190 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Why don't you just buy the Xbox 1 game used, for 5-10 bucks? It seems better than wasting a Dual-Layer DVD, and possibly getting cought (of course, this is unconfirmed).

Just my 2c.

12. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's not changing it, it's putting back what was missing. All xbox games are dvd9 (just like the 360), just the majority were small enough to fit dvd5. Original xbox didn't have a need for the discs to be 1:1, you just pulled the game data off the disc, made your iso and burnt it (or stuck on the hdd), no need for it to match the original. Of course doing this lost all the stuff you need for it to run on ixtreme (ss, padding etc), rebuilding them just attempts to put it all back.

If you use a kreon drive or a flashed 360 drive to rip an original xbox game with xbox backup creator, you'll end up with a dual layer sized image, as that's what the games originally are. A lot of the 360 compatible games you see about will have been ripped like this as it's just easier than messing around rebuilding old images.