Playing Wiiware/VC off SD Card

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by misticknight, May 18, 2010.

May 18, 2010
  1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    sorry if its been asked before, but is there a way to play WiiWare/VC games installed on the SD card directly off the SD? I know there was on a while back that needed you to have boot2 installed or something, or you needed your systems key on the SD card but i didnt want to use it then and take a risk. is there another one out now or is that the only wya (i think it was Triforce or something?) and if it is can someone give me a link to a good tutorial so i dont mess up my system trying. im tired of having to delete games off my HDD (if you can call it that) even though i've loaded the games off the SD card.

2. armand66

armand66 Newbie

What version of system menu are you on?

on 4.2e/4.2u etc, as long as you have "patched IOS70" you can play all games from the sd channel.

3. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    im on 4.1E. Is this 4.2E feature official or would i still need to hack it further cause if so this could be the kick i need to finally update, ive been thinking its pointless till now.

4. armand66

armand66 Newbie

4.2 uses the IOS70 to work, and if you have a patched version of IOS70, (which is in the softmod tutorial etc etc) then custom wad installs work on sd channel, if you update to 4.2 and do not put the patched version of IOS70 on the wii, then most unsigned wads wont boot from sd channel.

So yes it does work.

I'd say, go to the guide, which ive sent a lot of mates to recently, follow it to update using the offline instructions, step by step (youll be sent the files to update through a return email called update.zip), after updating then get the files needed to modify up to date, in same email called modify.zip. Use these files (not many, easy to do) to update all your main IOS such as 202, 222, 223, 249, 250, and IOS70.

Once thats done, you should be golden to move games from wii to SD.

Follow the guide, you cant go wrong, but best to update to 4.2 using the guide i think, using all offline files, than going through nintendos servers.

5. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    aight, thanks alot for the help man, this will make things so much easier [​IMG]

6. armand66

armand66 Newbie

Yeh it will man, youll be able to fill up the sd channel chockers if you want.

That guides pretty hard to stuff up, i got mates who've used it and no tech idea at all, and modified from 3.3 to 4.1 to 4.2 out of the box wiis no issues.

7. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    In the next Gecko OS release can someone make an option called 'SD Channel' that way u can leave ur VC/Wiiware games on the SD Card instead ofhaving 2 move 'em 2 the System Menu!!? lol