Homebrew playing wii emulator games off disc

martinezgene

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to emulators for the wii and was wondering if there is away to play my snes,nes, n64 and sega gen emulator games off of dvd instead of sd card.
It gives an option on setup to play from dvd but how do I burn them so the softmodded wii will read? If it is possible can I place all different games on the same disc

ASTEROTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
martinezgene...... Yes, I have done this. I can choose the folder after I boot the emulator's channel. Of course there are still some emulators out there that do not read off of discs so far, but nes and snes do from the gx loaders. I burned all of my roms in seperate folders on the root of the dvd. I have my disc set up like this:

amiga
arcade
N64
nes
snes
wii stuff

I hope that a mame gx will come out so I can play the classics on my tv without using an sdcard. I think that eventually they will come up with an iso for everyone with all this stuff on there. Hope I helped!
All in one dvds rock!

martinezgene

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ASTEROTH said:
martinezgene...... Yes, I have done this. I can choose the folder after I boot the emulator's channel. Of course there are still some emulators out there that do not read off of discs so far, but nes and snes do from the gx loaders. I burned all of my roms in seperate folders on the root of the dvd. I have my disc set up like this:

amiga
arcade
N64
nes
snes
wii stuff

I hope that a mame gx will come out so I can play the classics on my tv without using an sdcard. I think that eventually they will come up with an iso for everyone with all this stuff on there. Hope I helped!
All in one dvds rock!

Here is my set up and the boot.dol are in the apps folder. Is there something I need to do because I have tried many time and it will not work. I created an iso file but it is only 88.6mb it will not be read by the dvd drive.

I am lost. I want to make a bootable dvd for emulator roms.

Here is the setup on my sd

apps - has all the boot.dol files for emulators

fceugx- all of the following have rom folder with roms inside and a save folder

vbagx

genplus

snes9xgx

wii64

how would I burn this? I am using imgburn

picemu.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A bootable DVD-ROM that automatically runs is something totally different than "running emulator games off of dvd instead of sd card".
I think that's a project you may want to skip. Maybe it's not even possible (without a HUGE amount of coding and programming, that is).

Asteroth's explanation is how to use the DVD as a storage medium for your roms, rather than the SD card or the USB drive. It still assumes that the emulators themselves are run from the homebrew channel.

martinezgene

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
A bootable DVD-ROM that automatically runs is something totally different than "running emulator games off of dvd instead of sd card".
I think that's a project you may want to skip. Maybe it's not even possible (without a HUGE amount of coding and programming, that is).

Asteroth's explanation is how to use the DVD as a storage medium for your roms, rather than the SD card or the USB drive. It still assumes that the emulators themselves are run from the homebrew channel.

yes, I rather have the dvd as storage. But I don't know how to burn the dvd to use it as storage so it will be read by the wii. Every time I burn a dvd and try to read thru the emulator it gives me unrecognized media or some thing like that.

ASTEROTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
martinezgene,
I burned all associated roms to disc using nero as data dvd. I have the emulators as channels in my wii. I open the associated channel through the wii and choose which folder to load the roms from. It seems the easiest way... not only that, but I haven't heard of any bootable emulators through neogamma or others. That would be cool, though.... As for the wii, it can read the roms from regular burning. No ISO!
CIAO

martinezgene

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ASTEROTH said:
martinezgene,
I burned all associated roms to disc using nero as data dvd. I have the emulators as channels in my wii. I open the associated channel through the wii and choose which folder to load the roms from. It seems the easiest way... not only that, but I haven't heard of any bootable emulators through neogamma or others. That would be cool, though.... As for the wii, it can read the roms from regular burning. No ISO!
CIAO

sorry to sound so noob but do you burn everything to dvd or just the roms. I am using forwarders also. Do I need to have the apps folder with the dol's on sd card?
Thanks for your help

update:

I burn't to disc using nero data it asked if I wanted to use multisession and I said yes. I put all folders on dvd. Went into emulator and setup to read from dvd and it gives me unrecognizable dvd format

ASTEROTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
martinezgene said:
ASTEROTH said:
martinezgene,
CIAO

sorry to sound so noob but do you burn everything to dvd or just the roms. I am using forwarders also. Do I need to have the apps folder with the dol's on sd card?
Thanks for your help

update:

I burn't to disc using nero data it asked if I wanted to use multisession and I said yes. I put all folders on dvd. Went into emulator and setup to read from dvd and it gives me unrecognizable dvd format

It's possible that multisession dvd's don't have a lead in lead out process to terminate and setup file allocation, so the wii probably can't read the dvd because of that... I would think. I don't even use forewarders. I used wads for neogamma gx (of course), nes, snes, n64 and mplayer ce to have those channels present in my wii without having to have an sd card in at all. *except for game save data and options data. I had a problem with mplayer ce for a few days trying to set it up, but finally figured out I was trying to play a +r disc. The great thing about playing avi's is you can have up to 6 per dvd. Back to the issue at hand. Set up a data disc to finish it's burn cycle... no multi session.

martinezgene

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ASTEROTH said:
martinezgene said:
ASTEROTH said:
martinezgene,
CIAO

Thanks for your help

update:

It's possible that multisession dvd's don't have a lead in lead out process to terminate and setup file allocation, so the wii probably can't read the dvd because of that... I would think. I don't even use forewarders. I used wads for neogamma gx (of course), nes, snes, n64 and mplayer ce to have those channels present in my wii without having to have an sd card in at all. *except for game save data and options data. I had a problem with mplayer ce for a few days trying to set it up, but finally figured out I was trying to play a +r disc. The great thing about playing avi's is you can have up to 6 per dvd. Back to the issue at hand. Set up a data disc to finish it's burn cycle... no multi session.

thanks again, I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs