SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been ripping some DVDs for my less technically adept brother, and have ripped the videos (well, only one so far) to VOB format, as it was gonna take to long to convert it to another format. I then install the K-Lite Codec Pack on my laptop, and attempted to play the VOB on my laptop to make sure that this method works before giving him the VOBs and installing K-Lite for him on his laptop. However, Windows Media Player still won't play VOB files. I can play them in Media Player Classic, but my brother is often reluctant to use free software from anyone other than Microsoft or Apple (iTunes and Safari). So I was wondering, to make things simpler for him, is there some way to get them to play within Windows Media Player? Perhaps I configured the codecs incorrectly or something? Any advice on what I may have done wrong? Or do you need to restart your computer for the new codecs to take effect or anything like that? Thanks for the help.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seriously, you'll just need to convince him to use VLC. I've no idea why anyone is still using Media Player these days...
rolleyes.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure? I am pretty sure I've seen people play .VOBs with Windows Media Player... :/

EDIT: Wow, just found the answer, its SO simple: Rename the files to .MPG. Makes them play in WMP
biggrin.gif
Seems quite stupid if you ask me, but there you go.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
VLC. I've no idea why anyone is still using Media Player these days...
rolleyes.gif
using vlc is your best option. i use it across multiple OS's for all my videos, and its so feature packed. plays just about whatever you can throw at it. however, i hate using vlc for music.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
VLC sucks for music IMO, due to its complete lack of music organisation. But it is the best video player around, never had a valid video it couldn't play. But my brother has the impression that most free software that isn't preinstalled on a computer is illegal
wacko.gif

Anyway, looks like I should be able to make it all work OK, so no worries.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vlc media player can play vob's and also vob's compressed in an iso, also just install ffdshow and divx codec, thats all you shoudl really need, if you really must use another app then cyberlink dvd players can play vobs too.

or what you could do is just burn the vobs to dvd and let him play it off the disc dunno if media player will read dvds, I dont use it

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the whole point of ripping them is so he doesn't have to take discs. and like i said, i got them to play by renaming them. there seems to be an issue with the sound, but i'll tell him to fix it he can play the videos in VLC.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Thoob said:
Seriously, you'll just need to convince him to use VLC. I've no idea why anyone is still using Media Player these days...
rolleyes.gif

It is great for music and hell, most of my videos on my laptop work with it (although I still open them with VLC) as well DVDs are easy to play with it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring my issues with klite (better in recent years granted) for a moment.

Issues with sound is usually because you are playing the straight vob file- load up the ifo file and things will be good again. Failing that you might not have speakers set up properly (5.1 audio going out over straight stereo rather than being downmixed).

Also for the record while VLC is awesome it usually gets creamed in the speed tests.

Personally I would just teach your brother how to use a computer- far less aggro in the long run.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vlc is the way to go , and the best part is , you can just right click the folder the movie is in and click open with vlc and it will begin playing , but if you wanna stream it to ur xbox your screwed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all