Playing videos on the PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Leo Cantus, May 24, 2011.

May 24, 2011
  1. Leo Cantus
    OP

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    I downloaded some .mp4 videos on to my PSP. As far as I was aware, these should work on the PSP. However, whenever I try to play them I get the message: Data not supported. I'm thinking that either I've placed the files in the wrong place or they're the wrong format. On my PSP they're in PSP(E:)/PSP/VIDEO. Or maybe it's the wrong file type all together, on properties it says MP4 video (.mp4) If it is the case that its the wrong format then I'm going to have to convert them. I've seen that they're quite a few video converters for the PSP around, so which one would the best?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The container format (AVI/MPG/MP4/MOV) is only part of the video's type.

• Container
      • Video Codec
        • Resolution
        • FPS
        • Bitrate
      • Audio Codec
        • Channels
        • Sampling Frequency
        • Bitrate

If any of those parts is "out of bounds" for a specific player, then the video file won't play on the player (or will play with a lot of issues if you try to use it in a video editor), even if it's of the correct container type. When you use a converter for a specific platform (such as for the PSP or DS or ipod) or to a specific format, it doesn't convert just the container, it formats every part of the video to certain specifications so it'll play properly, which is partially why it takes so long to convert.

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    You've placed them in the right directory.
    Probably just best to convert them to PSP format, maybe it's something with the dimensions or so that's giving you this error.
    Besides if the videos are already in .MP4 it won't take long at all to convert them to a PSP appropriate format.
    For all my converting needs I use Any DVD Converter Professional.
    I don't remember if it needed cracking or not, but it works superb. Fact that I've got it running on 3 PC's now probably also means it's either free or very easy to be cracked!

4. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks to Santangel and Rydian for the info. I'll take a look at Any DVD Converter Professional. [​IMG]

5. Rydian

United States
    It's $40, not free. Any Video Converter (the freeware version of that company's software) should work just fine.

WinFF is another free converter, but lacks lots of tweaking options.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I know, but like I said, it must be pretty easy to crack if I installed it multiple times. It can convert just about every format to every format, quite impressive.

Viewing videos on the PSP is a real joy by the way, been watching a lot of anime on it recently [​IMG]

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Xvid4PSP, and a 2Pass encode is always a good choice.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    PSP Video 9 was always a good converter back "in the day" (I rarely convert videos for my PSP anymore, and if I do, I do so manually with ffmpeg - great tool, but its command line only, so not exactly "user friendly" - may or may not be an issue, depending on whether you like that sort of thing or not. I find it easier to use than bloated GUIs, half of which use ffmpeg anyway as far as I can tell)

9. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    I managed to convert the files, but now I can't get them to show up. Do I put in the video folder? Or do I have to make a separate one called "MP_ROOT" and "100MNV01" because I tried that and it isn't working.
    EDIT: Sorry, I figured it out, the MNV was older firmwares, now it just works by making the VIDEO folder.

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yeah around FW 4.00 or thereabouts Sony decided to actually make its video system vaguely user friendly and make it use a "VIDEO" folder instead of MP_ROOT with 100MNV01 and 100ANV01 for different codecs.

11. Rydian

United States
    WinFF is a gui for FFMPEG, and unlike SUPER it's not all bloated.

12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Interesting, I'll look into that. It seems I just download the bad GUIs then [​IMG]

13. Rydian

United States
    It doesn't have all the options, though. Just a bunch of presets.