Playing unathorized VC and WiiWare games on modded Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DeadCell, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadCell
    OP

Newcomer DeadCell Newbie

United States
    Okay, so my Wii broke, I sent it into Nintendo, and they sent me a refurb. I have all of the VC and WiiWare games I bought on my SD card, but it gives me the message "this channel can not be launched on this wii console" when I try to play them. I can connect to the Shop Channel and redownload them all, but that would be a pain, because I have an extremely limited data cap (300 mb a day split between 7 people), and it would take forever.

I plan on modding my Wii, but I know that I risk not being able to get on the Wii Shop Channel to redownload them. What should I do? Wait a few weeks to mod it, and slowly redownload my games a few at a time, or is there some way to reauthorize them, or play unauthorized games on a modded Wii?

2. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I suggest you use the search button to find the answer I'm sure you will.

3. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    VC games copied from NAND to SD card can only be launched if their tickets are installed on the NAND. Dont know what Nintendo did but I see no other option than to redownload all your VC and WiiWare. There is no way to "convert" your "SD-Card-Games" to installable wads. Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont say just "it is possible" without explicitly explain because those comments are food for the trash can.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Redownload them.

And a quick note - installing HBC/mods/whatever will not impair your ability to get on WSC at all. If the WSC updates and you can't connect to it, you can update your SM or update the Shop Channel and its IOS.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Allthough it's forbidden on GBA temp to give specific instructions...

Yes, it's possible to install unsigned channels.
    But downloading is also an option.

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

if you modding wii , you find new options for vc , wiiware

7. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With a modded wii yes he could "acquire" his VC games from other sources but he would still have to download them and that is his problem.

@DeadCell most VC games range from a few MB to around 25 MB (most of my n64 vc games are in the teens). You didn't say how many games you had but you could probably download 20 or more on your bandwith limit.

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm gonna start with a notion: if you mod your wii, the guarantee expires. If it has a problem in the future and nintendo finds out about it, they will bill you for it. Even if the problem isn't remotely software-related.

Second: I'll have to +1 neotank19's post: VC and wiiware is very small in size (it has to be: the wii has a capacity of a whopping 512MB...and that includes savegames & miis as well as VC and wiiware. source: a quickly googled linky). I don't know how much wiiware or what kind you have, but 42 megabyte worth in VC games is quite a lot. [​IMG]

9. ramunerobot

Newcomer ramunerobot Newbie

United States
    Did you try using Show me wads to create wad files from the directories inside your private directory on your SD card?

10. caitsith2

Member caitsith2 GBAtemp Regular

a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
    Canada
    Actually, with SD card backups, they can only be launched on the Wii that made that backup. Any other wii, even with the ticket for the given VC/WiiWare cannot launch that SD backup. As of right now, redownloading everything is the only option possible.

It may be possible to convert an SD backup for another Wii, but only if you have made a bootmii backup of your old wii or otherwise dumped its keys, mainly because each Wii encrypts their SD backups of the channels with its own specific key.

11. DSDisco
    This message by DSDisco has been removed from public view by FIX94, Nov 14, 2013, Reason: bump hard?.
    Nov 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.