Playing the Wii strains my eyes

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by NiGHtS, Sep 15, 2012.

Sep 15, 2012
  1. NiGHtS
    OP

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Ok, here's the thing, I used to own a wii (straight after my gamecube), and then soon enough in 08 I sold it off for a PS3 and was introduced to the HD revolution, since then I haven't really played a game in SD and naturally, when i once again got my hands on a wii a month back the change was rather jarring. But I thought I'd get over it, which I did.

However I've noticed that when I play the wii (its always played on Component), my eyes begin to strain and feel quite tired after 15 mins of play, strange considering I could easily get through hours of PS3. Or even my 3DS on 2D mode.

As ridiculous as this sounds have my eyes just been pampered by HD too much? Is it something to do with perhaps choppy framerate and the cable itself? My flatmate plays on it much more than me and he's fine! :/

I didn't really know who to ask this if only because it just seems ridiculous.

2. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    go see a doctor,it usually helps

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    try playing the 3ds you'll see the new meaning of strained eyes :P

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Are your component cables official, or are they third-party crap?

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Check your Wii's video settings.

[​IMG]

You may want to switch from 480i to 480p, which will turn Progressive Mode rather than Interlaced used in 480i (if you forgot to change that).

6. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I play the Wii with a component cable in 480p on a 37 inch HD. Weirdly enough, I have the opposite problem you do. I mostly play my Wii (my poor 360 that I just got in February has been gathering dust), and I'm fine. But whenever I play my 360 (in HD, using an HDMI cable), My eyes get tired, stingy, etc within about 30 minutes.
    There was an official component cable? I didn't realize... I got the Nyko version, and it works great for me in 480p.

7. Katsumi San

Member Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    Same happens with me. Whenever I play the GBA SP Lite for more than three days or just countless hours and then go back to playing my Wii in 480p my vision is screwed.. I see blurriness and then I can't really distinguish letters or numbers on my cell phone.. I don't think I'll play on my GBA SP again for a while. Such a scary thing.. I don't need glasses, I can see far and up close real good.

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    You need to use the official cables. They are more expensive, but definitely worth it.

9. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    The official cables are a rip off, the 3rd party ones work just as well as long as you don't get ultra cheap ones. My 8$ madcatz ones have been fine for years and look just as good.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    SOME 3rd party cables work okay. A lot of them, regardless what brand you get, have problems. I've seen plenty of Madcatz ones reported as having problems too. You were just lucky enough to get a set that wasn't crap. If you want a guaranty, go with official.

11. xwatchmanx

United States
    You can get the official cable used on the likes of Amazon for about $10. I would've definitely gone with those if I knew the official cable existed.
    My Nyko component cable seems to work pretty well, though I don't have an official component cable to compare it to. The difference is ESPECIALLY noticeable when playing SNES 9XGX and other similar emulators. On the stock AV cable, the games either had ghosting without filtering, or looked too blurry with filtering (so much so that they hurt my eyes). With the component cable, making sure to turn on 480p and filtering in settings, the games now look like an absolute dream (as far as 8 and 16 bit games go, lol), and don't hurt my eyes or have ghosting issues.

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    Hover over the pictures to see the differences between quality:
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

1 person likes this.
  13. aldeazem

Newcomer aldeazem Newbie

Brazil
    Man, the Gamespot article shows the difference between composite (NTSC) and component (480p) cables.
    Not the difference between two different brands of component cables...
    By the way, I use an unofficial set of component cables, and they work just fine. Very sharp image on a Philips 32" (not full HD). Can't see why any other brand of component cable (expensive or not) could give a different result.

1 person likes this.
  14. JoostinOnline

United States
    I'm well aware of what that article is about, I'm not an idiot. I was responding to xwatchmanx's comment about the big difference between composite and component.

The big reason that there is a difference is because of improper shielding.

15. xwatchmanx

United States
    I wasn't denying the difference, though. I was just saying that my Nyko component cable works just fine, though I don't have an official component cable to compare it to. Sorry, I didn't make that clear (forgot to write in the "component bit: post edited)

Either way, thanks for the article. that's a pretty cool way to compare!

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    Lol, I know you weren't disagreeing. I just remembered reading that article and thought it was, like you said, a cool way to compare. You can't switch between the two quickly when using a Wii, so it's harder to tell the difference.

1 person likes this.
  17. xwatchmanx

United States
    Yeah. Come to think of it, none of the games I've been playing on the Wii are the kind that would look much better in 480p anyway, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing as much of a difference with Wii games. Mostly, I've been playing games like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, and NSMBWii. So not really any "realistic" games, except for Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I have no idea whether Prime 1 and 2 have 480p support added in or not (working on Prime 2 right now).

Oh, and I forgot about Metroid Other M. but I didn't start playing that until after I got the component cable, so I didn't have anything to notice. lol.

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    The Metroid games show a big difference, including the Prime games. You see the biggest difference with static images and text.

1 person likes this.
  19. xwatchmanx

United States
    Cool. At any rate, I'm just glad to be using a cable that gives me better picture quality. :D

20. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Official component cables are a ripoff, Nyko cables work perfectly fine for me.

1 person likes this.