Playing the idea of going back to XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Centrix, Dec 17, 2011.

Dec 17, 2011
  1. Centrix
    OP

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    I am going to format my Dell XPS M1530 tonight and was thinking of going back to XP any thought on this just curious to know your opinion's on this, I use windows 7 at the moment

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Do what you want, although XP is no longer officially supported (no more security updates, and such)

Edit: oh, and 64 bit XP sucks huge donkey nuts.

4 people like this.
  3. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Well if you pirate legally obtain a cut down version it runs hella fast :yaynds:

4. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I don't really see the point to it nowadays... With windows Vista it was kinda understanding, but nowadays with windows 7 (and windows 8 comming right up) it doesnt make much sense... Actually, I doubt most recent things will run in XP anymore, I recall buying some new progs for school last spring and they wouldn't work on a windows xp they had in school, but worked with the newer OS's... It's really risky to use such an outdated operating system seeing as most stuff are already supported by windows 7...

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    XP is good if you want to run a Media Server, but these days, not good for much else. Windows 7 has fixed ALMOST all of the problems of Vista, and improved on a lot of things I liked in XP.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Why would you go back to XP? It's over 10 years old and has way less features in the way of usability and security.

1 person likes this.
  7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Windows 7 is vastly better, and Windows 8 is being designed to run faster than XP even on old hardware. Additionally, it's on extended support, and that means less updates, which results in less security.
    It was understandable when Vista came out, since it demanded the latest and greatest hardware (which barely anybody had at the time) and had various issues, but with 7 being out for over 2 years and Windows 8 coming around the bend, there's tons of reasons not to downgrade.

8. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sounds like someone really liked XP, I know the feel bro'. I have XP on my work comp and didn't upgrade to Vista as I didn't care for it after seeing it on my gf's comp. By the time 7 rolled around, XP was like an old pair of comfy shoes. The Office Suite on XP is far simpler, and sometimes simpler is better (although I don't see Office being the dealbreaker if you're posting this question on a gaming site.)

Despite my obvious bias, I too would not recommend downgrading a comp's preinstalled operating system to an outdated OS. It's apparent that there are features on XP that are causing you to consider this move and you should first make sure that these features are non-existent in 7; although you'll probably find that this is not the case.

9. FencingFoxFTW

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    I'm still on XP, but why format? why not dual-boot and see how it goes?

remember, you gotta look for drivers, unless you already looked into it, or you are gonna use a custom disk with DriverPacks or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  10. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Today I just dual booted with Windows XP, the third time i ruined my bootloader :D
    But I just needed to add Windows 7 to the bootloader with EasyBCD.

2 people like this.
  11. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    You probably want to stay on Windows 7, but if you elaborate a bit on what you intend to use this install for it would be easier to give you a better idea of how (un)viable XP would be. Since it's a laptop, are you going to use it on random wireless networks? What type of games if any are you going to play on it? Do you care more about aesthetics and interface or software performance?

Wall of text incoming. I won't hold it against you if you don't read this and I am providing a summary below the spoiler.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Summary of spoiler: Windows 7 is a better OS than XP for the vast majority of people, but not for everyone and there are reasons to use it.

Reasons to use XP on hardware that can also handle Vista and 7: XP offers better backward compatibility with old games and has few (a small number of) hotkeys and interface features absent in Vista and 7. XP is much smaller in size than Vista and 7 can also be slimmed down a lot more than them. The important consequence of this rather than saving disk space is that a performance gain can be had as no performance needs to be wasted for features that are not used.

Reasons to use 7 instead of XP: Mostly summarized in Rydian's post.

This is simply not true at all. Security updates are still sent out every month and support will be available until April the 8th 2014. What "Extended support" means as opposed to "Mainstream support" is that only security updates (so no design or feature updates) are being offered and that technical support, warranty validity etc is limited.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rydian

United States
    I asked why he wants to go back to XP in order to learn why he wants to go back to XP. :P

it's as direct as I could ask.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mazor

Sweden
    Perhaps I should have made it more clear that I believe you're overly anti-XP because of statements you've made in the past, most recently in the first sentence of this post.

14. Rydian

United States
    I'm anti-XP in certain situations (namely for most normal people).

We don't know what the situation here is.

And that... is why I asked.

1 person likes this.
  15. FencingFoxFTW

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Windows XP security? use a good firewall, a good antivirus, some common sense, and a good browser instead of Internet Explorer.

there you go. most, if not all, the security any XP user needs.

16. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Quick relevant question, does anyone have links or at least a proper google search term for the Diet XP rebuild?
    I'm actually seriously considering giving it a shot because I'm feeling the OS footprint hurt of a 60GB SSD drive in my laptop with Win7 atm. I already had collected the drivers for everything in it for XP 32-bit a couple years ago. I know that there will be some necessary tweaking for this (XP on SSD) but I've already found information for that much. ^_^

17. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    depending on your intended usage, a *nix distro would be better than shoehorning SSD support into an ancient OS. and then there's the matter of whether you'll need a 64-bit OS or not. XP 64-bit, as has been stated, blows.

18. Mazor

Sweden
    There are many slimmed versions of XP around, are you talking about a specific one? You can easily make your own with nLite, selecting what you want and don't want to remove from your installation. A problem with nLite is however that there are several things it cannot remove, so you'll end up with an installation disc which is considerably larger than some of the premade discs available on torrent sites and elsewhere.

If you don't want to mess around with nLite:

1 person likes this.
  19. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Thank you Mazor! I've looked at nLite before, and I just couldn't rack its name out of my brain. Didn't think I'd ever really want to toy with it myself until recently.

I already have a *X install for my laptop that I run from an 8GB USB stick, but I'm not comfortable enough to make it my primary OS on this laptop (which is from 2007 and has official 32-bit XP drivers available for everything).
    But if the XP install works out as I expect, there's probably room to switch it up to dual boot, have all my cake, and eat it, with the Windows 7 "Weight" I'd lose.

20. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    What's the point? Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate has the XP Mode feature.

1 person likes this.