Hacking Playing NTSC games on an LCD TV with 50hz Picture Frequency.

S.Bear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I'll try and keep this precise so I'll use bullet points.

* 19" LCD TV
* 50hz Picture Frequency, 60hz via HDMI (before anyone asks, I know the wii does not accept HDMI)

Using a PAL Nintendo Wii and some component cables, would this tv be able to display NTSC games in colour or would it be black and white or otherwise?

Many Thanks

~P~

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Well to my knowledge lcd tv's can play both pal and ntsc games no problem well at least the two i own can (Sharp and Toshiba)
But the only way to really know is try a ntsc game
By the way i have ntsc wii and play pal games so it should work the other way.

And im using gamma channel

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
LCDs can't display 50Hz. If they get in input signal with 50Hz they calculate a 60Hz from it.

Since most(all?) PAL games can be played at 60Hz and NTSC always runs at 60Hz, i don't see your problem.

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiPower said:
LCDs can't display 50Hz. If they get in input signal with 50Hz they calculate a 60Hz from it.

Is that true ? I'm not that sure, because it would lead to tearing during horizontal scrollings, like the one you can see when vsync is disabled on PC games.

I can't see any reason why 50Hz is impossible on LCD... 24hz is possible, so why not 50 ?
Do you have any source about this fact ?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Tetram said:
WiiPower said:

Is that true ? I'm not that sure, because it would lead to tearing during horizontal scrollings, like the one you can see when vsync is disabled on PC games.

I can't see any reason why 50Hz is impossible on LCD... 24hz is possible, so why not 50 ?
Do you have any source about this fact ?

Sorry, but lol. 24 Hz is possible by showing every picture 3 times on tvs that are able of 72 Hz playback. The native frequenzy for almost all LCDs is 60 Hz. The LCD tvs can display 50 Hz, because they calculate 60 Hz from the 50 Hz they get. This does not result is horizontal scrolling, but several issues with moving pictures depending on how good the used chip is.

S.Bear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I admit that it would seem strange that an LCD TV wouldn't be able to natively support a frequency of 60hz but if you click on the link below and look at the technical specifications you can see that it says 'Picture Frequency' = 50hz. When i questioned the seller about this in regards to the prospect of being able to play NTSC games on it he said that the TV supports 60hz via the HDMI socket. He didn't make any mention of the TV running at 60hz via the SCART connector for example.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=tab%3DWatching

~S~

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The question is: does the logo "Picture Frequency 50Hz " mean that the tv runs at 50Hz or that is able to playback 50Hz too(in the way i described)?

PS: I'm skeptical towards all LCD/Plasma tvs anyways, "HD ready" was a logo to fool people. And 1440:900 is a 16:10 resolution, but it displays 16:9. And HDTV resolutions are(1280:720 or 1920:1080)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8