Playing NES, SNES, N64, etc Roms on the WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Cortex, May 9, 2016.

1. Cortex
    OP

Cortex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    United States
    Hello. I'm new to the world of WiiU hacking. First I want to say thank you to all involved in the recent kexploit. I was able to get it working on my WiiU, and have the HBC and Loadiine working great.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to play NES, SNES, N64, and other ROMs on the WiiU. For example, I have several .nes roms that I want to play, but am not sure how to load them through loadiine.

I have read through several threads and am still not clear if this is only possible through vWii modding, or if I can do it via VC game injection or some other method. These 2 threads make it seem like it's possible outside of vWii modding:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-vc-game-injection-working-on-5-3-2.395930/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-s-nesinject-a-rom-injector-tool-for-loadiine.404017/

However, in the 2nd link regarding the (S)NESInject tool, I don't know how to get the VC RPX that I am supposed to convert to an ELF file.

Any help in satisfying my nostalgia for Contra, Punchout, etc would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zwizzy

Zwizzy Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    United States
    I too am curious if there are any tutorials online out there? I would love to show my girlfriend Super Mario RPG and Diddy Kong Racing, some of my favorite games as a kid.

3. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    For starters, you can get them loadiine-ready. I remember seeing a n64 pack that had paper mario, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, and smash64. Other than that, the injection method as stated above.

4. Cortex
    OP

Cortex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I think I saw that N64 pack in my research. Any idea though how to get the NES or SNES VC rpx files for converting to ELF files?

Marko76 likes this.
  5. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Since you are injecting, that would mean you already have a loadiine-ready VC. Check if it's in one of the folders.

6. PR0r

PR0r GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2009
    I've got a bunch of snes games as .smc files. What would be the best way to get these working?

7. Cortex
    OP

Cortex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    United States
  8. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Well you need your rom and the VC you want to replace. Just go to the places where you get your loadiine games and find any loadiine-ready VC.

9. Cortex
    OP

Cortex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    United States
    Ok, well thanks to your suggestion, I was able to do some Google-fu and I got the injection method working. It was sure fun reliving my childhood memories with Contra, Punchout, and some other games.

I guess my OP was more wondering if there was a method to load the actual .nes game files on a hacked Wii U, similar to how I used to on the original Wii through the FCE Ultra GX emulator through the homebrew channel. From what I have read so far, it seems like we're not there yet on the Wii U. I know I can do a vWii mod to play them that way, but I was curious if there was another way on the Wii U (other than the direct injection method) without having to go into vWii.

Any other suggestions, ideas, or methods I'm not aware of?