Playing NDSL while charging battery

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Bergunzo, Aug 3, 2008.

Aug 3, 2008
  1. Bergunzo
    OP

Member Bergunzo GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    If i play ndsl while it's charging its battery, do I risk to ruin it? Or there are no problems? Thanks

Bergunzo

2. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Just a guess. I think you might ruin it because there is more power input/output at the same time so yeah. Basically, more power is in use somehow so something has to give?

3. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    you only run the risk of blowing the fuse if your outlet is not rated for electronics.

4. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    really doubtful.. i do it!

5. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    just because you do it, doesn't mean it hasn't already happened to other people.

Have you lived in more than 20 homes to back your "i do it" opinion? It is a FACT that bad outlets in the US burn out more electronics than crappy electronics shorting out.

6. Outrager

Member Outrager GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Doesn't that mean that just charging it will break it? And it doesn't matter if you're playing it or not?

7. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    He doesn't live in the US, he lives in Italy. [​IMG]

8. Joshunar

Newcomer Joshunar Advanced Member

United States
    i read that same thing in the instruction booklet but i play it while its charging anyway and i havent had any problems yet

9. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I think it would be best to avoid it as there is a possibility of something happening (something bad) so yeah. But if your addicted enough/haven't played for a long time/just bored, by all means go ahead and possibly ruin your DS.

Note: Sounds kinda biased doesn't it?

10. onegi

Newcomer onegi Member

Australia
    So far i have played my GBA and DS while charging, and i have not noticed any difference.
    I do it alot too.

And, i can back it up by the fact that i travel allot (not america though)
    I have done it in Australia, China, Hong Kong and Japan.

Mind you, For Australia, China and Hong Kong, i was using a friends charger, but in Japan, It was mine, and worked fine.

The only think i can see running the risk of is draining the life of your DS battery even faster. But i have nothing to back that up

11. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    The only thing you have to worry about is the possibility of bad/old wiring in whatever building you're charging and playing from. The voltage needed to charge the battery and play the DS is the same either way, but when you do both at the same time, you draw more current from whatever power source you're using (the wall outlet). As long as you have enough current (amps) for both charging and playing, you're not going to run into any problems. Basically, don't worry about it, play when you want to play. Even in Italy [​IMG]

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The nation statitical numbers of electronics burning out is under 15%, with an average of 3%. Your odds are good that it won't burn out your DS, even though it still can.

I said it was a POSSIBILTY it can happen, I never said it will.

While I am still talking about numbers, the Xbox 360 has a failure rate of 30%, go figure.

The only way you can blow the fuse in the DS is with an AC source or an overloaded battery that has exceeded its output long enough for the fuse to pop.

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I've played it while charging and nothing has happened. But usually now when I see that red light I take it more as a message from my DS saying "Hey give it a break. Just charge me and when I'm done when can play again."

14. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    I think you're getting away from the issue at hand. We're talking about whether or not the DS can be played safely while charging, not the chance of a DS failing or getting burned by a bad outlet.

There's nothing to suggest that a DS can't perform exactly like any other Li-ion powered devices (laptops, cameras, etc). However, since the DS battery isn't as conveniently removable like in those other devices, it's best to remove it from the charger once you know it's full again.

15. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    ?

I play my DS all the time while charging it, and have had no problems over 4 years (DS Phat/Lite)

Before you all start speculating about how it might magically make your DS explode, has anyone EVER had a problem with charging and playing simultaneously?

16. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    We do it a lot down here too, no problem at all.

Most DS consoles are constantly hooked up at events as well. There's no reason why it wouldn't be safe

17. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    I repair electronics for a living, I know my numbers.

you can always ask those that have a DS with a blown fuse (that is the 3% group).

that means if you ain't got a problem charging while playing your in the 97%. I don't see why you guys get offended that there IS a small number that have problems.

18. MysteriousCookie

Newcomer MysteriousCookie Advanced Member

Australia
    i play on mu ds all the time while its charging
    whats with all the people having the purple ribbon with a skull on it?

19. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    well overnight, i put my ds on charge, and i use headphones to listen to music overnight. i leave it on and i fall asleep. is still charging, i wake up, and unplug it.
    i think my battery life has gone down :| but nothing too serious

20. gosp

Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    The reason that there's a giant block attached to the charger is so power usage will be normal, regardless of plug shape or voltage. It is perfectly safe to play a DS/lite while charging, and Nintendo even says so in the manual.