kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Struggling with this.

There are numerous sites on the net that can say take a youtube video, and download it as an MP4 file that says is PSP compatible. The sites ive tried are Savevid.com and Keepvid.com.

So these download fine, and im putting them into the VIDEOS folder on my SD card. But they are all coming up as unsupported files.

I cant see why I as i have a film on there which seems identical in format etc, which plays fine. Am i doing something wrong, missing a trick etc?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok cheers ill bear that in mind. I just assumed that any site that says it will convert to a PSP format would already have bared that in mind.

That does sound correct then as my film is 480x208 but the resolution of the files that are being produced by the website claiming PSP compatibility are 480x360 which im assuming is why they are coming up as unsupported

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also try PMPlayer. It still follows the basic rules of PSP video but you can play more formats like flv avi and mp4.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
.mp4 is just a container format - what matters is the encoding and the resolution of the video.

The PSP's Media Player (from what I've read) is capable of displaying 76800 pixels, so 320x240, 368x208, 400x192 are the resolutions you can use. Don't go for a high framerate, but anything between 15 and 30 is acceptable. As for the codecs, H.264 should work just fine. If you are a tad confused about what to do, it'd be best if you picked a native converter for the PC rather than use converting websites - not only the process will be quicker, but the end result will be far superior.

Reactions: Rydian

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The PSP's Media Player (from what I've read) is capable of displaying 76800 pixels, so 320x240, 368x208, 400x192 are the resolutions you can use.
that restriction is only for official FWs, DA removed them from his custom FWs, but i remember using 368x208 before CFW and before h264 support.
but the psp IS picky, the best is if you go with the native resolution of 480x272

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There are numerous sites on the net that can say take a youtube video, and download it as an MP4 file that says is PSP compatible. The sites ive tried are Savevid.com and Keepvid.com.
Most sites like that one don't really convert the videos. Youtube keeps an mp4 copy of their videos on their servers along with the flv, and sites like these just let you download the mp4 file. They say the file is PSP compatible but their logic is that "PSP plays mp4 files, this is an mp4 file, so it must be compatible."

EDIT: Is there some homebrew player that plays more than just the officially supported codecs? A DivX/XviD/ogm/mkv player or something?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PMPlayer, but even though it's homebrew it still has the same technical limitations (overall bitrate, downscaling slows it down, etc.) so just converting to the PSP's recommended format is suggested in the first place. Hell, I had a video in the right format, but without an audio stream, and neither the PSP's native player, nor any homebrew player I tried were able to play it. It seems the lack of an audio stream is something none of them were ever made to work around...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PMPlayer, but even though it's homebrew it still has the same technical limitations (overall bitrate, downscaling slows it down, etc.) so just converting to the PSP's recommended format is suggested in the first place. Hell, I had a video in the right format, but without an audio stream, and neither the PSP's native player, nor any homebrew player I tried were able to play it. It seems the lack of an audio stream is something none of them were ever made to work around...
That said, I don't think any programmer really thinks that the users will have a huge desire to watch video with no audio and if decoding both streams in one go happens to be more optimal, why go the extra mile to separate them? ;)

I'm guessing that it just looked for an offset value that was not there (because there was no stream to be found) or for the stream itself, and if said search returned 0 (nothing found), it just printed an error to the internal debugger console (if it is still active in the distributed application), deeming the file corrupt and that's that.

Karolus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used to convert .avi or .mkv files with avidemux to play them on the PSP but I forgot the right setting...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ssssey ioBtneicnA@