Playing MP3s on GBASPs

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by charlyw, Nov 24, 2006.

Nov 24, 2006

Playing MP3s on GBASPs by charlyw at 4:29 AM (1,745 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. charlyw
    OP

Newcomer charlyw Newbie

Canada
    Got an M3 / mini SD / Passcard combo that I use for playing games on both GBASP and NDS. That works very nicely using M3s game manager program, but how do I get MP3s to play off the mini SD. I've tried just copying over the MP3s, but neither the GBASP nor the NDS recognizes the music file.

Is there a program that converts the MP3 into another file so they can be played on these 2 systems?

2. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    If you're using the M3, then use the Extend option to get into moonshell, and pick the music option from there [​IMG]

EDIT: oh...GBA....it was late [​IMG]

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The DS can run Moonshell from the M3, and Moonshell natively plays mp3's.

The GBA can't play mp3's (slow processor), but you can convert your mp3's to .gbs with the conversion software you recieved with the M3. But the sound is not as good as the mp3's, even on highest quality settings, and any lower quality settings just plain suck.

4. charlyw
    OP

Newcomer charlyw Newbie

Canada
    Actually, the DS doesn't recognize the mp3 file either (after doing a straight copy from the hard drive). I would prefer to use the GBASP for music since it's smaller.

The only software I have and using is the M3 Game Manager v30a, that I downloaded from the site. I can't see any music conversion utility in this app or any "extend option". Am I trying to use the wrong software. I've gotten no reply from M3 itself - not very good at PR.

5. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
  6. Veho

Croatia
    Try this software: GBAMP V2 conversion software.

Movies and music you convert with this work on the GBASP with M3.

7. charlyw
    OP

Newcomer charlyw Newbie

Canada
    Yes, the M3 Movie Converter was the way to go - although it's not obvious from the file name or the icon name that it installs. The music converter part of the app does convert mp3s to gbs, but the results are quite pathetic. You got to be hardup for noise if you are going to listen to the results. I hate to think of the result of converting a movie file.

8. xxmadxx

Newcomer xxmadxx Member

Puerto Rico
    with m3
    transfer mp3 to card put in a folder called music so you can find it easily then in the m3 main menu click the extend button (the extend button is only available in ds mode and this will cause moonshell to boot) then simply click the music icon find the folder you placed mp3 in and click it and it WILL play just fine but this will only work in ds. for gba converting is the only option

9. charlyw
    OP

Newcomer charlyw Newbie

Canada
    Yes I followed your directions xxmadxx (ie found the extend option) and the NDS does indeed play MP3s very nicely, thanks.

10. Veho

Croatia
    The default sound quality setting in the converter is 32:1 mono, and the results are disastrous. The sound quality is horrible that way.
    Set the sound quality to 8:1 stereo, and the quality improves. Still, you have to use earphones, because the built-in speaker on the GBA SP is too weak, and generally sucks.

As for movies, the higher quality settings look OK, although the framerate is 10 fps, so you get glitches and choppyness in faster action scenes. It's okay for sitcoms.
    But cartoons and anime look great on the GBA. I have tons of anime in GBM format, and the entire Invader Zim series, a lot of Dexter's lab, tons of other cartoons, and I'm quite satisfied with them.

Still, the quality and framerate of DPG video in DS mode is much better; no wonder, the DS is 6 times faster than the GBA [​IMG]

For more info on video on both GBA and DS (and also... um... sample encodes, which are "in no way at all" full length movies and anime encoded into GBM (GBA video), and DPG (DS video) [​IMG] ), visit GBA The Movie Way.

11. Shadow-Zero

Member Shadow-Zero GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  12. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Buy a Play Yan

They're great

13. Shadow-Zero

Member Shadow-Zero GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Where can I find a Play Yan or Nintendo MP3 Player these days?
    Or should I browse around in China, if I read wiki
    [​IMG]

14. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia

I bought mine about 4 years ago from Play Asia.

These days? Try Ebay. They may cost a bit though.