Hacking Playing legit carts online on 9.0 sysnand(9.5 emunand)

Inflameslol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have yet to obtain my gateway its being shipped but I was curious about online play w/ games. I think I will purchase all my online games to stay safe(possible p.header but we'll see)

My question is:

What's the best way to play owned carts such as MH4u online?

Can I just go into the eshop on emunand 9.5 and download mh4u update/s and then play it on sysnand 9.0 online?

info appriciated

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not familiar with this method. Are you able to boot legit carts inside emunand or is there another method to this?

You need to boot classic mode, which is emunand but allows carts to be played.
Also I'd recommend ditching 9.0 and downgrading to 4.5. Unless you really like the browser exploit compared to the blue card exploit.

Reactions: codychaosx

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the updates which you need to worry about. It's the game and chip ID headers. Basically, at this point, if you can get GW installed onto your system you do a ROM dump and pull the headers out, copy them to your emunand copy and you're playing an exact copy of your original cart (also works with Sky3DS template). Some people say .CIA copies work because they don't have headers, but don't bet on it. Nintendon't is pretty stingy about owning an original copy.

Or just ROM dump the original cart and use the whole .3DS ROM on GW (easy method).

Just don't update past 9.2. Some say 9.4 works, but the moment you hit 9.5 you're screwed.

Actually, you don't even need to wait for your GW. You can run the GW installer.dat file from your SD and go to the http://go.gateway-3DS.com site and run it without the GW card (web browser injection). Also make sure to backup your 9.2 sysNAND while you're at it. You REALLY should backup sysNAND before you do ANYTHING. And this can be done without the GW carts.

Then when your GW arrives you're ready to go. GW's emuNAND will allow you to run eShop and install updates, etc., so do your homework first and backup your sysNAND N-E-O-W!!! Then start ripping ROMS so when once you get GW you're basically playing a copy of your original cart and can then go online.

Hold onto your original carts (duh) and never play the two ONLINE at the same time. Offline or network play, no problem.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
yes you can
i did that for super smash
9.2 sysnand
then download emunand 9.5 then installed the 1.05
then returned to 9.2 sysnand , and the update is installed

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not familiar with this method. Are you able to boot legit carts inside emunand or is there another method to this?

Ok so you want to play your legit cart so what you will need to do is press L while loading the Exploit and go to boot Classic mode in this mode but first you need to make sure you back up all of your SD cards content to set up Emunand. Once it done formating emunand you can put all of your SD Card Contents Back into Your Card.then you go to the gateway menu you need to click Format Emunand And it will create a partion in your SD that holds your emunand. After that go to the sytem settings and it should say something like this GW3D 9.0.XX make Sure it Says GW3D in front of the Firmware Number. If oyur FW says GW3D 9.0.X.X Go to Other Settings and in the fourth page tap the System update and wait for a bit untill it updates. After that it will kick you back into Your System nand launch the Gateway Exploit again and boot into classic mode again and if you can access the eshop Congratulations you have updated your Emunand.

Also I'd recommend ditching 9.0 and downgrading to 4.5. Unless you really like the browser exploit compared to the blue card exploit.
That wouldn't be recomended as he has a MH4U Physical Cart and the save won't work on 4.x.x FW as it uses 7x save keys

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok so you want to play your legit cart so what you will need to do is press L while loading the Exploit and go to boot Classic mode in this mode but first you need to make sure you back up all of your SD cards content to set up Emunand. Once it done formating emunand you can put all of your SD Card Contents Back into Your Card.then you go to the gateway menu you need to click Format Emunand And it will create a partion in your SD that holds your emunand. After that go to the sytem settings and it should say something like this GW3D 9.0.XX make Sure it Says GW3D in front of the Firmware Number. If oyur FW says GW3D 9.0.X.X Go to Other Settings and in the fourth page tap the System update and wait for a bit untill it updates. After that it will kick you back into Your System nand launch the Gateway Exploit again and boot into classic mode again and if you can access the eshop Congratulations you have updated your Emunand.
That wouldn't be recomended as he has a MH4U Physical Cart and the save won't work on 4.x.x FW as it uses 7x save keys
6.x save keys, actually. 7.x save keys don't exist ;)

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd not recommend downgrading to 4.5, especially if you want to play original carts. You could lose your saves if you upgrade your 3DS above 4.5 - or if you use those carts on another 3DS above 4.5.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd not recommend downgrading to 4.5, especially if you want to play original carts. You could lose your saves if you upgrade your 3DS above 4.5 - or if you use those carts on another 3DS above 4.5.

Hm, how about if you're a fresh Gateway user and just started. Do you still not recommend downgrading?

sneef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, how about if you're a fresh Gateway user and just started. Do you still not recommend downgrading?

I'm with Nephiel on this one.. and to answer, even though the question was posed to him, not me, As a new gateway user I'd still not recommend downgrading to 4.5 unless the person has understood some critical information about encrypted 6.x save files, and how downgrading could affect them..

I was a BRAND NEW gateway user (i had an r4i gold deluxe which i used a couple times back on system version 4 or something, before emunand was supported on that garbage cart), in fact my gateway hadn't arrived in the mail yet, but i was prepping, and I went ahead with the downgrade to 4.5 at many forum members' behest. ended up with emunand 9.0 (or something up there) and sysnand 4.5 . I had read about the 6.x save incompatibility with sysnand 4.1-4.5, but didn't realize how bad it was.. I didn't even intend to play my Zelda linkbetween worlds cart, I simply wanted to dump the save file, just to be safe, and for possible future importation into other region cart (for my EUR N3DS, which is a non-issue now that gateway supports N3DS, and i can now play in classic mode with my USA retail cart!)... anyway, somehow i guess i booted into sysnand, and my hard-earned save games were wiped out forever..

that alone made me begin to question the wisdom in downgrading.. i understand and appreciate that it simpifies some parts of the process, notably the exploit used in launching the gateway redcard. but with a growing number of games being developed with newer dev kits, and the browser exploit being very easy to pull off, it's worth at least considering not downgrading to 4.1-4.5. that being said, i was frustrated and stuck when i was flying across the pacific a week ago, and realized my plane had no wifi and i had no way of launching the browser exploit. I need to research hosting it locally on my intel tablet/laptop hybrid (windows 8.1) or, i heard there's an android method, and i have a few old android phones (not super old.. htc m8 and a xiaomi redmi note, and a fake iphone 6+ that runs android 4.4.2) that i could bring along for that purpose.. as long as it's hosted on ad-hoc 'hotspot' network..

sorry a bit off topic there

Reactions: Nephiel

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't have explained it better.

As for the Android method, the app is called "3DS X-Loader", but you still need an internet connection on your Android device so it's not 100% offline.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with Nephiel on this one.. and to answer, even though the question was posed to him, not me, As a new gateway user I'd still not recommend downgrading to 4.5 unless the person has understood some critical information about encrypted 6.x save files, and how downgrading could affect them..

I was a BRAND NEW gateway user (i had an r4i gold deluxe which i used a couple times back on system version 4 or something, before emunand was supported on that garbage cart), in fact my gateway hadn't arrived in the mail yet, but i was prepping, and I went ahead with the downgrade to 4.5 at many forum members' behest. ended up with emunand 9.0 (or something up there) and sysnand 4.5 . I had read about the 6.x save incompatibility with sysnand 4.1-4.5, but didn't realize how bad it was.. I didn't even intend to play my Zelda linkbetween worlds cart, I simply wanted to dump the save file, just to be safe, and for possible future importation into other region cart (for my EUR N3DS, which is a non-issue now that gateway supports N3DS, and i can now play in classic mode with my USA retail cart!)... anyway, somehow i guess i booted into sysnand, and my hard-earned save games were wiped out forever..

that alone made me begin to question the wisdom in downgrading.. i understand and appreciate that it simpifies some parts of the process, notably the exploit used in launching the gateway redcard. but with a growing number of games being developed with newer dev kits, and the browser exploit being very easy to pull off, it's worth at least considering not downgrading to 4.1-4.5. that being said, i was frustrated and stuck when i was flying across the pacific a week ago, and realized my plane had no wifi and i had no way of launching the browser exploit. I need to research hosting it locally on my intel tablet/laptop hybrid (windows 8.1) or, i heard there's an android method, and i have a few old android phones (not super old.. htc m8 and a xiaomi redmi note, and a fake iphone 6+ that runs android 4.4.2) that i could bring along for that purpose.. as long as it's hosted on ad-hoc 'hotspot' network..

sorry a bit off topic there

So saves are the main reason why downgrading is bad. What if saves wasn't a problem and I didn't mind starting over? As a fresh Gateway user saves shouldn't be a problem. My friend had barely any progress on her games so she had no problem losing those saves.
But I can see how this can be a problem for others and suggesting it wouldn't be a good idea. Because a lot of people truly need their cart saves.

Killaclown

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I couldn't have explained it better.

As for the Android method, the app is called "3DS X-Loader", but you still need an internet connection on your Android device so it's not 100% offline.

I think the app uses a offline hotspot to connect with the 3DS. This might have changed recently, but when I downloaded the app a couple of hours ago, the settings were 1: Create hotspot automatically, 2: Kill all connections when server is up.
I think it's completely offline now :grog:

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, unless you live in a third world country, there's no reason to downgrade a 6.x plus system.

I dont get the point whats the difference between 3rd world and 1st in order to run the xploit?

Using a browser and/or internet (or android APP which doesnt need online) everytime you power up the 3ds is a pain in the ass, for me 4.5 and ds exploit is the most convenient wait of booting my old ds. I use OOT exploit on n3ds and its not nearly as simple and quick as ds profile exploit. Overall for me there is no xploit that is as convenient as v4.5 ds exploit

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont get the point whats the difference between 3rd world and 1st in order to run the xploit?

Using a browser and/or internet (or android APP which doesnt need online) everytime you power up the 3ds is a pain in the ass, for me 4.5 and ds exploit is the most convenient wait of booting my old ds. I use OOT exploit on n3ds and its not nearly as simple and quick as ds profile exploit. Overall for me there is no xploit that is as convenient as v4.5 ds exploit
(Edit: downgrading from 6+ means losing saves made on your 6+ system. Sacrificing them for the convenience of the DS Profile exploit makes me draw the conclusion that the reason is) The cost of internet I guess. Most people's reason for downgrading seems to be "not needing Internet access".

Expensive internet or poor network coverage would be an issue in third world countries.

But as far as "simple and quick" goes, the spider exploit is an overwhelmingly faster alternative.

Open internet, boot into Gateway Mode vs. open settings, other settings, profile, DS profile, boot into Gateway Mode.

If you prefer the DS profile exploit that's fine, to each his own. But to infer that it's simpler or quicker than the websploit is bullshit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs