Playing japanese 3DS outside Japan will have lag in online games?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tamakin, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Tamakin
    OP

Newcomer Tamakin Newbie

Brazil
    Hi guys this is my first post here. I live in Brazil and bought recently japanese 3DS LL because i know japanese better than english.
    Now i'm thinking to buy Mario Kart 7 or Luigi Mansion 2 from japanese eShop to play online, but now im not sure if their online match will be playable from other side of planet.

So i'd like to know what happen in games like Mario Kart 7 that can have cross-region match. Even choosing Worldwide, i'll still be forced to connect to japanese server?

2. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Yup. Playing my European 3DS in Thailand was pretty much impossible. Occasionally made it into a race, sometimes as far as lights-out... never got past the first lap.

3. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it mainly depends on your ping.. i can play mario kart and luigi's mansion fine on jp version in the usa, california, I ping about 12ms for nintendo of japan, (though don't know what to ping for their servers, just don't notice lags in gameplay)

4. Tamakin
    OP

Newcomer Tamakin Newbie

Brazil
    Thanks for the replies.

I bought japanese 3DS to play RPG games and had not thought about this detail. I was expecting to have global server in US for worldwide match, but looks like I was wrong... :O

Unfortunately my route to Japan is 300ms~500ms. Maybe I can still play with this ping but depending the game can be more stressful than fun, so i'll think twice before buying games to play online.

5. petspeed

Member petspeed GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    12ms from USA til Japan? How the h**l do you manage that? Are you sure your ping went all the way to Japan and back?

6. amaro999

Newcomer amaro999 Member

Brazil
    Can you use your Brazilian Credit Card to pay for games in the Japanese e-Shop?
    Just wondering... It worked for me in the European e-Shop, even though I chose Italy as my country of residence.

Moreover, the online gameplay on my European 3DS is just fine (for Mario Kart and Sonic Transformed, that´s all I´ve tried).

7. Tamakin
    OP

Newcomer Tamakin Newbie

Brazil
    Nice to hear your online experience from Brazil. Can you really play fine without people teleporting in Mario Kart?
    And yes, i can use brazilian credit card without problem. The card just need to be international.

8. Urahara Kisuke

Newcomer Urahara Kisuke Member

Brazil
    I'm from Brasilia. My 3DS is from EUA, ping is about 60 ms.
    That depends on your internet connection.