Playing HD VIdeo via an EXternal USB HDD

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by sekhu, Nov 17, 2008.

Nov 17, 2008
  1. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

Feb 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Ok,, I know you can watch certain video formats on a PS3, one of those formats being vob. What I'm trying to do is to run 1080p and 720p video files on a HDD.

I;'ve done the following:

Convert MKV 1080p and 720p video files to vob with mkv2vob.
    Format a 250GB IDE HDD in an external USB enclosure in FAT32

Using MKV2VOB I've also split the movie files into 4GB chunks, since FAT32 won't read above that. I've had all movies in their own folders.

However, when I plug the HDD into the USB socket, it sees the drive, and only the $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information, none of the movies or movie folders are showing up.

Any ideas on how to get this working, or why it won't work? Additionally it may have something to do with the fact that it only reads the 250GB drive as a 115GB. So is it that it's only able to read FAT16, if so what's the file size limit for FAT16? 2GB?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I'm sort of following this guide:

Also I can't stream the movies via Tversity because my PC is not powerful enough for 720p/1080p videos
  2. carterman

Member carterman GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    United States
    Is your computer seeing the hard drive as being properly formatted and as FAT32? If so, try putting your videos in the VIDEO folder or pressing /\ on the hard drive and selecting Display All, that will let you browse the whole device for videos.