Hacking Playing GC & Wii games on Wii U - USB LOADER?

slayer171

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. First want to say I have been using this site for YEARS, back when I modded my wii, and have gotten so much valuable info.. I appreciate it.

Wii Us are super cheap now, so decided to pick one up and hack it. I have followed all the instructions, and have everything running perfectly. It's such a sweet system, and I picked it up for £100.

I have every Wii U game I want installed (including some GC, N64 etc thanks to USB helper), BUT i have a big collection of GC and Wii games that I wanted to run; I have USB loader/nintendont on my vWii, and was going to put them all on there, but I just realised that there is a different file system/architecture compared to the Wii U :vul2:

Is it possible to have all these games in one place? That was really my plan. I love the UI of USB loader (and wiiflow), and would love for that to work on the Wii U (not vwii). I am happy to use vWii to launch all these games, but would I need a different harddrive? That is very unappealing to me.
What about roms? Do they all need to be on the vwii? (unless injected on wiiu, VC for example).

I see you can install WUP forwarders to vWii homebrew, which is great! I'm just wondering how to install such games on the hdd with all my wii u games.

Thanks for any help!!

slayer171

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You'll need another HDD or just do it like me: SDXC for Wii+GC (cfg USBL) and HDD for WiiU.
Thanks for the reply.. that's probably the best bet. What size SDXC card do you have? How many games can you fit on it? I do actually have a 128gb card.. I'm assuming the Wii U would accept that? Shame, I wanted a stupidly big library of games and to fill up the rest of my harddrive :'(

edit: actually I thought I had a spare 128gb card but I don't.. and I need my other one.. and 62gb isn't enough. I guess I'll just inject them onto my Wii U, and disregard usb loader/vWii for the most part.

Last edited by slayer171,

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't though of running Wii and GC from the Wii U sd card. That is all done in vWii still right? Haven't checked in on the Wii U scene in a bit. SD card seems small for all the stuff I run on my Wii USB drive though.

Using two USB drives is still problematic I guess than. Wii U want's to format the Wii hard drive all the time.....Why doesn't Ustealth solve that problem? I seem to remember there was an issue somehow but don't recall.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't though of running Wii and GC from the Wii U sd card. That is all done in vWii still right? Haven't checked in on the Wii U scene in a bit. SD card seems small for all the stuff I run on my Wii USB drive though.

Using two USB drives is still problematic I guess than. Wii U want's to format the Wii hard drive all the time.....Why doesn't Ustealth solve that problem? I seem to remember there was an issue somehow but don't recall.
Is possible to make wii games work like WII virtual console. That way, is just like downloading from eshop and stored on your Proprietary WII U formatted HDD, as well as WII gamecube games. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

You can use that tool to inject WII games and gamecube games into the WII U storage and load like regular wii u games, and even use the game pad on them. For gamecube, it uses the vwii homebrew nintendont which has to be on the sd card when loading, but the games are on the system memory.

Reactions: blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I might give that a whirl (want to check out Luigis mansion on gamepad).....been keeping my Wii hooked up along with my Wii U.

Using that method are you still limited to only using 2 TB of bigger hard drives?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I might give that a whirl (want to check out Luigis mansion on gamepad).....been keeping my Wii hooked up along with my Wii U.

Using that method are you still limited to only using 2 TB of bigger hard drives?
So as long as the wii u can recognize it, it should work for the most part. Remember if you format the drive on wii u it only works on wii u.

Reactions: blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working with one game so far. Pretty sweet. Was having issues with the injector at first but it finally worked. I guess it's using Nintendont from the vWii? Because of that I think the aspect ratio is 4:3

Normally all homebrew on vWii is on mine unless I run a quick app that fixes the aspect ratio. Seems the script doesn't run with this method. Is it supposed to be like that?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working with one game so far. Pretty sweet. Was having issues with the injector at first but it finally worked. I guess it's using Nintendont from the vWii? Because of that I think the aspect ratio is 4:3

Normally all homebrew on vWii is on mine unless I run a quick app that fixes the aspect ratio. Seems the script doesn't run with this method. Is it supposed to be like that?

Not sure but maybe you have the old Homebrew channel that has the aspect ratio locked at 4:3 cause of a WII U update that forced a specific range of installed titles based on title ID. You should replace it with this one. https://github.com/FIX94/hbc/releases/
upload_2018-1-28_2-20-24.png

Alternatively, you can adjust the settings when you load nintendont homebrew. (If auto game boot is on, press B to cancel it to access settings.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to fix my vWii homebrew channel aspect ratio with this. Gamecube games still look the same, I think its working right though because I can see some effects show the screen is actually top to bottom, it just doesn't stretch to the sides which I guess it shouldn't anyway. Game play on Metroid Prime has black bars on top and bottom making it seem like your playing in a small square view inside a rectangle.....at least this is the gamepad view, I have not checked the TV.

After updating the vWii I realized there is not really any reason to still use it for anything anymore or the old regular Wii....the Wii U is better with this injecting of Wii and gamecube games. I still launch retroarch from homebrew launcher is the only thing but I do that on Wii U side now not vWii.

Reactions: Kafluke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: