Hacking Playing GBA games without a Slot-2 flashcard?

Zowayix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First things first - I know that as of now, you need to have either a Slot-2 flashcard or an iPlayer to play GBA games on a DS.

However, I randomly thought of something - remember back when you needed a PassMe with an actual DS cart, so that a Slot-2 Flashcard would read the data from the actual DS cart and run DS mode from Slot 2?

Would it be possible, with some program, to have a Slot-1 Flashcard and an actual GBA cart, so that the Slot-1 Flashcard would run GBA mode from Slot 1?

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
A little harsh but also correct.

I will elaborate a little:

Reason that it would not work is because of how the GBA slot works with games. It is a direct access system, through into hardware designed for GBA cards, the DS does not actually emulate a GBA.

The iPlayer and reportedly the SCDS2 can run GBA as they have their own ram and cpu for emulating then just using the DS as input/output hardware.

Zowayix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about emulation like the iPlayer.

I'm pretty sure that the PassMe was used to "trick" the DS into booting DS mode from Slot 2. FlashMe did the same thing, allowing DS games to be played without anything in the DS slot.

Wouldn't it be possible to "trick" the DS into booting GBA mode from Slot 1 as well?

Zowayix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read it, and it mentioned that you need something in Slot-2.

If I remember correctly, didn't FlashMe allow one to play DS games with nothing in Slot 1, and only a DS flashcard in Slot 2?

CortalRage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of it this way, if the ds goes to gba mode, it cant read the gba rom on the ds card. same thing with gamecube on the wii, cant read from a sd card because gamecube had no sd card.

gozza

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Zowayix said:
Would it be possible, with some program, to have a Slot-1 Flashcard and an actual GBA cart, so that the Slot-1 Flashcard would run GBA mode from Slot 1?

the supercard team is working on their new card
they said its possible to play gba and snes games with it (emulated)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
gozza said:
Zowayix said:

the supercard team is working on their new card
they said its possible to play gba and snes games with it (emulated)

So how good is the emulation expected to be ?
Since the DS has GBA hardware in it basically, will the emulation be perfect or there will be issues like frame skipping and games compatibility ?
I might as well stick to my GBA Sp to play GBA games ( in combination with an M3 SD Perfect ), but since I'm getting a DSi XL I was thinking about playing GBA games on it to benefit from the larger screen and better viewing angles and more vibrant colors.
Sadly the XL doesn't have a GBA port, but if I could, I bet GBA games would look really good on the larger screen and letter boxed to fit the resolution without stretching it .....

gozza

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no one knows yet
i hope the emulation will be good
wink.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
It is a one way street. Besides there was a 2500 word technical essay on why it doesn't work from a slot1, which I can't seem to find at the moment.
There's some technical discussion over in this thread about the limitations in the DS hardware that prevent a passme type solution from working the other way around. Not sure if it's the same points mentioned in the article, but it should help clear things up a little.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)