Playing GBA games without a Slot-2 flashcard?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Zowayix, Mar 13, 2010.

Mar 13, 2010
  1. Zowayix
    OP

Member Zowayix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    First things first - I know that as of now, you need to have either a Slot-2 flashcard or an iPlayer to play GBA games on a DS.

However, I randomly thought of something - remember back when you needed a PassMe with an actual DS cart, so that a Slot-2 Flashcard would read the data from the actual DS cart and run DS mode from Slot 2?

Would it be possible, with some program, to have a Slot-1 Flashcard and an actual GBA cart, so that the Slot-1 Flashcard would run GBA mode from Slot 1?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    PassMe is a DS flashcart function for playing DS games on a Slot2.

And NO you DON'T understand how it works.

Use a iPlayer and the gba emu if you want a Slot1 gba emu. And NO other flashcart except the SCDS2 can play gba.

And yes, this is still a NOOB question.

3. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    A little harsh but also correct.

I will elaborate a little:

Reason that it would not work is because of how the GBA slot works with games. It is a direct access system, through into hardware designed for GBA cards, the DS does not actually emulate a GBA.

The iPlayer and reportedly the SCDS2 can run GBA as they have their own ram and cpu for emulating then just using the DS as input/output hardware.

4. Zowayix
    OP

United States
    I'm not talking about emulation like the iPlayer.

I'm pretty sure that the PassMe was used to "trick" the DS into booting DS mode from Slot 2. FlashMe did the same thing, allowing DS games to be played without anything in the DS slot.

Wouldn't it be possible to "trick" the DS into booting GBA mode from Slot 1 as well?

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is a one way street.

Besides there was a 2500 word technical essay on why it doesn't work from a slot1, which I can't seem to find at the moment.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
  7. Zowayix
    OP

United States
    I did read it, and it mentioned that you need something in Slot-2.

If I remember correctly, didn't FlashMe allow one to play DS games with nothing in Slot 1, and only a DS flashcard in Slot 2?

8. CortalRage

Newcomer CortalRage GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Think of it this way, if the ds goes to gba mode, it cant read the gba rom on the ds card. same thing with gamecube on the wii, cant read from a sd card because gamecube had no sd card.

9. gozza

Newcomer gozza Advanced Member

Germany
    the supercard team is working on their new card
    they said its possible to play gba and snes games with it (emulated)

10. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    So how good is the emulation expected to be ?
    Since the DS has GBA hardware in it basically, will the emulation be perfect or there will be issues like frame skipping and games compatibility ?
    I might as well stick to my GBA Sp to play GBA games ( in combination with an M3 SD Perfect ), but since I'm getting a DSi XL I was thinking about playing GBA games on it to benefit from the larger screen and better viewing angles and more vibrant colors.
    Sadly the XL doesn't have a GBA port, but if I could, I bet GBA games would look really good on the larger screen and letter boxed to fit the resolution without stretching it .....

11. gozza

Newcomer gozza Advanced Member

Germany
    no one knows yet
    i hope the emulation will be good [​IMG]

12. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    There's some technical discussion over in this thread about the limitations in the DS hardware that prevent a passme type solution from working the other way around. Not sure if it's the same points mentioned in the article, but it should help clear things up a little.