Playing GBA games with ezflash V using R4

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by divinewind88, Apr 30, 2007.

Apr 30, 2007
  1. divinewind88
    OP

Newcomer divinewind88 Member

Singapore
    Hello!

I have been reading the guide here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46742 and sadly, I still do not understand how to configure my DS Lite to make it play GBA games.

The DLDI parts are particularly confusing and the extra DLDI website provided doesnt help matters. Apart than those, there are many parts of the guide which I can't comprehend as well.

Can someone be kind enough as to simplify the steps for me?

Thanks..

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You didn't specify what OS you are using, so I'll just assume it's Windows.

Get the DLDI right click utility and install it. Be sure to specify the correct driver when it asks. Now you can apply the DLDI patch to .nds files by right clicking on them and selecting the DLDI patch action. Do this to copyTest.nds.

Put the patched copyTest.nds file on your microSD card. Create a folder in the root of the card (i.e. not in any other folder) named GBA, then create a folder inside the GBA folder named Save. Put some GBA roms in the GBA folder.

Everything should work at this point. Just start up copyTest.nds and select a game, press A, then press L+R. After the game (and the save, if applicable) are copied to the cart, restart the DS and start the 3-in-1 as though it were a standard GBA cart. Do not start the game from copyTest; there is a bug in that program that causes save problems.

There is a newer app for using the 3-in-1 cart called GBALdr that you may want to check out. I haven't used it yet myself, but it supports skinning, and it has several features that copyTest doesn't.

3. divinewind88
    OP

Singapore
    Hey thanks alot.

4. divinewind88
    OP

Singapore
    Hey ya!

I only have time to try out the above mentioned method today and thought I can perform it smoothly but alas, I still cannot do it haha.

Anyways, the first part was fine. (installing the DLDI tool, I chose both R4 and EZ5 as the drive, patching the copyTest.nds file and creating the GBA folder)

Next, I:

1) loaded pokemon emerald into my r4

2)turned on my nds and run copyTEST.nds

3)screen turns black with the heading "NOR Flash Test" and instructions asking me to press LEFT and RIGHT to choose file, press A to flash and B to save SRAM respectively.

4)I pressed A and then it prompt me to insert the 3in1 cart and press L+R to flash.

5) I complied and some "Erasing NOR" percentage appeared. I waited for it to finish erasing everything.

6) THen I was prompt to flash again. This time some "Saving SRAM" percentage appeared and likewise, I waited for it to finish.

7)After that, I tried playing the game but failed to. I went thru the steps again but still cant seem to play the game.

Something must have gone wrong somewhere (Duh). Someone help me out.

Thanks!

5. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    You have to patch the GBA rom with EZ4 Client before copying it into the 3 in 1.

6. divinewind88
    OP

Singapore
    How do I patch the gba rom and where do I get this EZ4 client?

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The best place to get all things EZ is the EZ-Flash forums: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/index.php

You can download the client here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hqfmih

Extract the files to a folder and run EZ4_Client.exe. Click config to set the folder you want to send the patched roms to. Click open, select a rom (or multiple roms) and click open again. Leave add save patch checked, and don't change the save type settings. I don't know if it matters whether or not you have reset checked, so I leave it unchecked. Click send to patch the files.

8. divinewind88
    OP

Singapore
    Oh ok. Thanks alot! This time I really understood everything [​IMG]