Homebrew Homebrew app Playing Gamecube games on Wii, need help please

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get my Gamecube games to work on my hacked Wii using Nintendont. My hard drivte crapped out on me and I had to order a new one and I forgot how setting it up works. The issue I am having is that I partitioned the HD into two sections, one for Gamecube (that I formatted FAT32 - not sure if thats correct) and one for Wii (that is formatted for WBFS). The Gamecube partition is the first partition and the WBFS is the second and I placed the Gamecube games in a "Games" folder on the root of the drive then made sure that the "custom file path" on my game launcher (USB Loader) is set to that folder.

But its not working... any advice would be great. Maybe if someone could point me toward a walkthrough or CFW tutorial, that would be great too. Thanks.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There is no reason to use WBFS as a partition format instead of fat32 for Wii games. It's outdated, and can cause corruption.

Everything should be compatible on a single fat32 with 32kb cluster. I can't really tell you the process as I have GC and Wii games on different devices.

I'm sure others can point you to something specific, but again, no need for partitions.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's easy to get mixed up as the games stored in FAT32 partition are in WBFS format. WBFS as a partition format has been practically defunct for almost a decade at least.

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I have never had an issue with the WBFS for partition two. I haven't updated my Wii CFW in years though. That isn't the problem I am having, however. My issue is with the FAT32 partition 1 that I have the GC games on. FAT32 is fine for GC games since nearly all of them are less than 4GB. It doesn't seem to be reading (finding) them.

The HD I purchased is a 1TB (split into two 460GB partions) and my old one was 500GB (two 230GB partitions). I wonder if size matters? >.>

I guess alternatively I can buy a larger SD card and put the GB games there... that kinda sucks though.

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Why would you need files bigger than 4gb? Wii Backup Manager can divide games that are larger into smaller files, they work fine. There is no point in having Wii games in ISO format, and wbfs files can, as I say, be made smaller.

I've only use NTFS on a separate drive to backup games.

Of course each person might want or have a different setup...

Last edited by Maeson,

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
New HDD would be the perfect time to ditch obsolete WBFS. In addition, with only one partition you'll run out of hdd space only when HDD is full. With partitions you can find yourself in a situation where other partition is full and there would be oodles of space on the other.

Never liked partitions much myself, finding them more of a bother than really helpful thing. Ever since DOS days ditched them and haven't looked back.

Reactions: Draxikor

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... eh, what is the best way to run GC games these days? Currently I am using USB Loader GX.

I just didn't want to have to go in and change a bunch of CFW if I didn't have to. It's been a long time since I modded the Wii and I have sorta forgot a bunch of stuff. And... I am lazy.

What size HD do you guys have? In the past there were very specific hard drives that worked so I am wondering if maybe the 1TB is just to big and it won't read the GC games. Or maybe there are different ways to format FAT32? I used GUI Format to do it this time.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So... eh, what is the best way to run GC games these days? Currently I am using USB Loader GX.

I just didn't want to have to go in and change a bunch of CFW if I didn't have to. It's been a long time since I modded the Wii and I have sorta forgot a bunch of stuff. And... I am lazy.

What size HD do you guys have? In the past there were very specific hard drives that worked so I am wondering if maybe the 1TB is just to big and it won't read the GC games. Or maybe there are different ways to format FAT32? I used GUI Format to do it this time.

I have a WD Elements 1Tb formatted with Wii backup manager and Wii/GC games works great.

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxikor So you have

So you have partition 1 set up for the Gamecube games then? And its FAT32, right? Just checking because I am fairly certain thats how mine is set up. My old HD was a WD Elements so I am wondering if I need to see if I can find another one.

How old is your WD Elements?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv