Playing DVD movies with WiiMC?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by davidsl_128, Aug 3, 2010.

Aug 3, 2010
  1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    I know that WiiMC can read data DVDs with video files (like .avi or .wmv and other formats) but I'm wondering if it can play movie DVDs, as in those you can rent at video stores. I can't seem to play them, so I don't know if my configuration isn't right (I use WiiMC 1.0.6, the WiiMC cIOS202, and my Wii has the old optical drive that can read DVD-R) or if WiiMC just can't play those DVDs. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Richardarkless

Member Richardarkless GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    plays ok for me, make sure you either got the latest homebrew channel (1.0.7) or dvdx if your want to stick with a previous version of homebrew channel, get it by running the hackmii installer, I recommend you upgrade to the latest homebrew channel

wiimc needs one of those to be able to play dvd movies

If you got one of those installed and it still doesnt play then try mplayer ce to see if that works for you

Wiimc is still relatively unstable so things wont always work

3. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I could get my DVD copy of "WALL-E" to work, but sort of... lamely.]

The audio was very distorted at times and was out-of-sync with the picture. Annnd the picture itself was at an inconsistent framerate, probably about 10 frames-per-second on average.

So, it worked for me. But I'm sure it all depends on how taxing the movie is on the Wii in terms of image and sound quality, and hey, who knows, maybe some movies just don't play, like in your case. :/

4. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Homebrew Channel version and DVDx have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with WiiMC.

Make sure you have ios202 installed. (Available at WiiMC website, www.wiimc.org).

DVD playback isn't the greatest. Some dvds will play great, others will have small problems, and some just refuse to work at all.

5. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Some movies play but other don't!

6. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Well, I got a "Can't read DVD" error with all my movies, so I don't think it's a video playback problem, but problems with reading DVDs. I can't seem to get anything going, so I'll just load the old HackMii Installer and reinstall DVDx

7. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    You don't need DVDx if you have the IOS202 on wiimc's downloads page installed.