Hacking Playing DS games on a NEW 3DS XL

ldaneels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everybody,
I would like to play DS & DSi games on a US/NTSC New 3DS XL I just purchased (so I assume with the latest firmware).
Which card would you recommend to achieve that ?
I saw the DSTwo Plus 3DS which has the advantage of playing GBA, SNES & eventually 3DS, but I don't know if it would work on the newest firmware.
Also, how easy is it to play DS games on the card ? Is there any complex set-up like for 3DS games or is it just drag & drop ?
I am more interested in the ease of use (SKy3DS+ for 3DS games being the reference for me) than all the bells & whistles, but if I can get my cake & eat it too, that would be awesome :)
Thanks for any help you can provide,

Loic

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use the sdhc 3ds rts flashcart. It is very simple just download firmware and drag nds files onto flashcarts. It woks on lastest firmware last time I checked. I got mine with an 8 gb mirco sd card for $32 bucks. (doesn't have snes and gba support though)

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First thing to do: Go to system settings and see on the top screen a string of numbers. What does it say?

The DSTWO+ is getting quite expensive (~60 euro where I live) but it does play SNES, GBA and DS games on every DS/2DS and 3DS. It also plays 3DS games when your firmware is 9.2.0 or below.

Last edited by Temarile,

ldaneels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow, you guys are fast :)
I actually haven't received the system yet, but for kicks, let's just say it is 10.6.0-31U. The point I am trying to make is that I just want something that works without having to fiddle with the system and such. At most I can flash the card to the newest firmware, but I wouldn't want anything more complicated than that. I have a Sky3DS+ & had a CyloDS and that's the kind of experience I am looking for if possible (which it might not be...).
As always, thanks for your help & advice

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want to play DS games, and DS games only you can go and be settled with an R4i Gold, which can only play DS games. If you want to play SNES, GBA and DS games, your best bet is DSTwo+. You can even try to downgrade your system if it's on 10.6 and play 3DS games with it (although the free option there is Custom Firmware)

Reactions: Mr.ButtButt

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should downgrade if your on 10.3.0 or under. You can install any cia (aka 3ds games) on your 3ds if you downgrade (and setup cfw). I highly doubt you will get 10.6.0 because most 3ds will sit at a stores for monthes before being sold

ldaneels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your replies. I think I will go with the SDHC 3DS RTS as it's pretty cheap & does exactly what & how I need it to do. As a sidenote, what is the maximum Micro SD capacity for this flashcart ? I would assume 32G, but more would be great.
As for 3DS games, I already have a Sky3DS+, so I'm already set :)
Thanks a lot

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recall DS games being not as large as 3DS games. I used to have an original R4 and I think it only had a 2GB microSD. I could store around 15 games on it and still have plenty of space. Ofcourse it depends on the game you want to play. I just checked my DS card backup and for example, Nintendogs is 64MB. Mario Kart is even less, with 32MB. The largest games I have on my card is 128MB (Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 9 and Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass respectively). So I think even with 16GB you will have plenty of space!

I suggest buying from http://nds-card.com/ as it is a valid site and the sponsor of GBATemp. If you buy from them, you support GBATemp and help to continue the site so we (the users) can use it to supply advice to people like you :D

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No problem. Glad I could help you!
Case-Closed-Stamp_645x400.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, That's Kero Kero Bonito. They made this all time meme.