playing backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Greatforce, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Greatforce
    OP

Greatforce GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2010
    Netherlands
    I got myself the Homebrew channel today, and with it, installed Neogamma. I then Burned my Super mario Galaxy (Yes, i do own the original, but its too damaged to work anymore =/ ) but Neogamma says ''Drive too new for DVD-Rs''

Does that mean i will be unable to play backups from Discs, and are there any other ways to play backups without an External Hardrive?

2. smash_brew

smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    usb hdd/flash drive or sd card is your only option without swapping out the drive for an older model that will read dvd-rs.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Larger HDDs are typically cheaper than larger SD cards; for example the hard drive I got (Western Digital My Passport - 500GB) was only $70 at Best Buy. I highly recommend that brand. :D

4. smash_brew

smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    i would also recommend a wd drive. i've got 2 1tb drives. one i've had for a few years. hasn't failed me yet. i picked up one on clearance at staples about 6 months ago for $18.50 so you can find some good deals out there.

5. Lucif3r

Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 10, 2011
    Swap out the DVD drive to an older model, play from external HDD (best), play from an overpriced SD card, buy a WiiKey and play from SD card (this will allow you to boot GC games), buy a WODE (DVD Emulator) and use an external DVD (I think that works at least).

Those are your options. External HDD is the best for many reasons: Size, price, speed (reducing loading times by quite a lot), can be used for other things other than the Wii, Noise (I at lest hate the sound of DVD drives ..) etc etc