Hacking Playing an old R4 on an old 3DS

Beth9991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to play the old r4i upgrade revolution for ds on the first 3DS. I don't know if that's possible, but if it is, is there a way and a tutorial on how to do that?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play the old r4i upgrade revolution for ds on the first 3DS. I don't know if that's possible, but if it is, is there a way and a tutorial on how to do that?
If the cart is not detected on your 3DS then it's most likely patched by Nintendo. And you'd need to install CFW to bypass it so it can work again.
Do you have a DS that you can test with, if the the cart actually works or not?
The guide posted above is for installing cfw on your 3ds. Follow either the Pichaxx or Seedminer method, both lead to the same thing.
Though first get an sd card and test with h2testw (it's in the guide), to make sure it's not faulty or defective, before you begin messing with your system..

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The oldest flashcarts (particularly ones that auto-booted on an old DS) need to be started with NTR Launcher, which also requires CFW. I think TWiLight Menu might work too.

(In theory you could use HaxxStation without installing CFW, but of course that would still require a second unit to provide a download point for HaxxStation. Also no one does things that way anymore.)

I've read the Get Started part, but I don't know where to go from there
Maybe try reading the rest of it, for starters..? Or ask questions about something more specific?

Beth9991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All I know is that, when I put the r4i upgrade revolution for ds in the first old 3DS, it says that an error occurs. So I don't know where to go from there. There seem to be so many things I need to get in order for it to work.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not yet. Still struggling where to go from the Get Started part
Well, this depends on the current firmware version on your console.
Pretty self-explanatory.
1.0.0 up to 11.3 → Soundhax method
11.4 to 11.14 → update to 11.15 (currently latest version)
11.15 → Seedminer

If you have trouble, describe it further.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's the problem. I've read the Get Started part, but I don't know where to go from there.
Sorry. I don't understand the problem.

Open System Settings to get your current version and continue the guide.

Beth9991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, this depends on the current firmware version on your console.
Pretty self-explanatory.
1.0.0 up to 11.3 → Soundhax method
11.4 to 11.14 → update to 11.15 (currently latest version)
11.15 → Seedminer

If you have trouble, describe it further.
Like I said before, all I know is that when I put the r4i upgrade revolution for ds in the first old 3DS, it says that an error occurs. I haven't done anything to make it work and I don't know where to go from there.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Like I said before, all I know is that when I put the r4i upgrade revolution for ds in the first old 3DS, it says that an error occurs. I haven't done anything to make it work and I don't know where to go from there.
Ignore the R4 for now.
3ds.hacks.guide is independent from the R4.

If you finish installing custom firmware the blocking ("An error has occurred!") should be gone.

Reactions: zfreeman and CoolMe

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to do that
I'm sorry but what does that even mean what you're asking for is a basic set of instructions on how to make your r4 work with your 3DS they're telling you that if you want your r4 to work you have to follow the guide ... And now for the part where my mind is blown how are you expecting to follow people's written instructions to get your device to work if you can't choose a range your firmware number falls in

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to do that
You don't know how to do what? Again, you need to install Custom Firmware (Luma3DS +Boot9strap) on your 3DS in order to bypass the R4 cart blocking, otherwise it's not possible. It's that simple.
If you want to install cfw, just read my comment above, follow either Pichaxx or Seedminer method (both lead to the same thing), and read the steps carefully on this guide, do NOT skip any steps. And you should test your sdcard beforehand with h2testw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?