Hacking Playing A DS Hack from Legit Cartridge Using Luma To Patch

LooP403

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently started using Twighlight Menu++ and used the Widescreen hack on it (fantastic btw) and I put it in two places:
  • SDCARD:\_nds\TWiLightMenu\TwlBg
  • SDCARD:\luma\sysmodules
When I put it Widescreen.cxi into the first path, it only worked while in Twighlight Menu, (For some reason I can't boot into my slot-1 card while using twighlight menu so I cant use cartridge widescreen like that) but when I put it into the second path it even allowed me to use the Widescreen on cartridges.

My question is if I could create a patch, let's say of a Pokemon randomizer, and put it into a similar location as the second one and have it patch on the fly similarly to how 3ds randomizers work. This could also be used for games like Mario Kart and play the rom hack Mario Kart DS Deluxe.

Now I know this has no purpose if you could just play them on a flashcart or use Twighlight Menu to play the patched rom, but the feeling of playing on the actual cartridge just always feels better (hope yall understand).

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
AFAIK, luma can only patch games or sysmodules from the 3ds itself, and the widescreenpatch patches the DSi mode itself, not any of the DS roms.

I couldn't say if this is impossible, as amazing achievements have been made regarding DS mode in the 3DS lately, so, maybe in the future if someone is interested.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

LooP403

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, luma can only patch games or sysmodules from the 3ds itself, and the widescreenpatch patches the DSi mode itself, not any of the DS roms.

I couldn't say if this is impossible, as amazing achievements have been made regarding DS mode in the 3DS lately, so, maybe in the future if someone is interested.
I see. Thanks for the response

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see. Thanks for the response

I would like to know if is nearly feasible, so let's ask an expert :).

@Robz8 what do you think? Could a built-in patcher be included in TwilightMenu++ or anything else like that to achieve what OP has described? Another advantage would be that the roms will be always clean, so obscure hackroms or anything else won't be conflicting with the ROM ID's for cheats detection or even the WS patches.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know if is nearly feasible, so let's ask an expert :).

@Robz8 what do you think? Could a built-in patcher be included in TwilightMenu++ or anything else like that to achieve what OP has described? Another advantage would be that the roms will be always clean, so obscure hackroms or anything else won't be conflicting with the ROM ID's for cheats detection or even the WS patches.
It's indeed possible, but only for arm9 binary code.
Was able to create a .ips patch from gamemasterplc's 16:10 widescreen hack of New Super Mario Bros., and it works. Just needs a fix on the cheat code side, and it'll work properly.

Reactions: DSoryu

LooP403

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's indeed possible, but only for arm9 binary code.
Was able to create a .ips patch from gamemasterplc's 16:10 widescreen hack of New Super Mario Bros., and it works. Just needs a fix on the cheat code side, and it'll work properly.
Well then, so with a bit of tweaking it'll be possible? Also, I understand quite a bit of terms used for modding and stuff, but could you explain what you mean by it only being possible for arm9 binary code? Finally (final question i swear), you were able to get the widescreen hack from only using an ips file?! (I find this fantastic because of how easy I think they are to make)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it