Gaming Playing 360 on PC monitor?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The small writings in Dead Rising is starting to bug me a lot and since I don't have the money for an HDTV, I decided the next best option is to try my PC monitor which luckily is quite new so it has DVI port. My question is would something like this device work:

23981ld9.jpg

Where one part goes into the DVI and the other I just plug the RCA cable that came with the console. Or am I just being optimistic that simply plugging it into the monitor will work?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats RGB (component) so it wouldn't work using RCA cables. You would have to buy RGB cables. I dont know if it would work though
unsure.gif

twotime

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought the Official Microsoft VGA cable and the assorted connectors I needed to hook up the RCA audio cables into my sound card. If your monitor had both a Analog and Digital input you can have both the pc and 360 hooked up at the same time. It works great.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to the VGA cable thing.
I got one from amazon although it had a male end (like monitors) (nothing to difficult for me to work around), the official one has shielding as well as I recall which is quite nice if your computer/monitor/electrics are in a similar state to most I have seen.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I use my monitor with my 360. I bought a joytech VGA cable to connect it and it's working beautifully, the picture quality is great.

My monitor has both DVI and VGA (RGB) inputs. If you have a VGA input then go that route.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting! And what sorta monitor would be a good (but relatively cheap) one to get along with the 360 and cable?

The best budget screen IMO is Samsung's Syncmaster 740NW (£115). Only 17inch, but I have one in my bedroom and 360 looks great on it. True 16:9 and the VGA cable plugs straight into the back.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used to have my 360 hooked up via VGA using a 3rd party cable, before I got my HDTV.
I had a few issues with some games, mainly cause my native res is 1280x1024.
Picture quality was good and with the right cable you could have dolby digital output.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
No game console ever officially supported DVI. HDMI can be converted, but it'll be digital only (there are a slim few analog only DVI monitors) and you'll have to route the sound elsewhere since it doesn't allow for that.

Personally, I've found HDMI lackluster at best. Might be the most overhyped invention in the last decade. You don't need it for 1080p or surround.

Yeah... The Xbox 360 handles aspect ratios strangely. It's common for menus and loading screens to be 16:9, then gameplay using whatever you've set. A weird one is Viva Pinata. It changes to widescreen in the item shops. Also, more games support 4:3 on SD resolutions than HD IIRC.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a 22'' monitor with component jacks built right in. Now if only I had a 360. At least I can enjoy playing Halo 2 online through the monitor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1