Playing 360 on PC monitor?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Harsky, Sep 19, 2007.

Sep 19, 2007

Playing 360 on PC monitor? by Harsky at 2:27 PM (986 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    The small writings in Dead Rising is starting to bug me a lot and since I don't have the money for an HDTV, I decided the next best option is to try my PC monitor which luckily is quite new so it has DVI port. My question is would something like this device work:

[​IMG]

Where one part goes into the DVI and the other I just plug the RCA cable that came with the console. Or am I just being optimistic that simply plugging it into the monitor will work?

2. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Thats RGB (component) so it wouldn't work using RCA cables. You would have to buy RGB cables. I dont know if it would work though [​IMG]

3. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    I bought a vga cable from this guy on ebay. Got it for under £5.50 total. He has a lot in stock so if you make a 40p bid you should win

4. twotime

Newcomer twotime Member

Canada
    I just bought the Official Microsoft VGA cable and the assorted connectors I needed to hook up the RCA audio cables into my sound card. If your monitor had both a Analog and Digital input you can have both the pc and 360 hooked up at the same time. It works great.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    +1 to the VGA cable thing.
    I got one from amazon although it had a male end (like monitors) (nothing to difficult for me to work around), the official one has shielding as well as I recall which is quite nice if your computer/monitor/electrics are in a similar state to most I have seen.

6. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    If you have a 19 inch LCD monitor widescreen with dvi input could it support HD 720p at least?

7. 4ppleseed

Member 4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Interesting! And what sorta monitor would be a good (but relatively cheap) one to get along with the 360 and cable?

8. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    But without HDMI input, it is still useless, because it will still be blurry. You can buy TV tuner card with HDMI input, but they're expensive.

9. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I use my monitor with my 360. I bought a joytech VGA cable to connect it and it's working beautifully, the picture quality is great.

My monitor has both DVI and VGA (RGB) inputs. If you have a VGA input then go that route.

10. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    The best budget screen IMO is Samsung's Syncmaster 740NW (£115). Only 17inch, but I have one in my bedroom and 360 looks great on it. True 16:9 and the VGA cable plugs straight into the back.

11. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I used to have my 360 hooked up via VGA using a 3rd party cable, before I got my HDTV.
    I had a few issues with some games, mainly cause my native res is 1280x1024.
    Picture quality was good and with the right cable you could have dolby digital output.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    No game console ever officially supported DVI. HDMI can be converted, but it'll be digital only (there are a slim few analog only DVI monitors) and you'll have to route the sound elsewhere since it doesn't allow for that.

Personally, I've found HDMI lackluster at best. Might be the most overhyped invention in the last decade. You don't need it for 1080p or surround.

Yeah... The Xbox 360 handles aspect ratios strangely. It's common for menus and loading screens to be 16:9, then gameplay using whatever you've set. A weird one is Viva Pinata. It changes to widescreen in the item shops. Also, more games support 4:3 on SD resolutions than HD IIRC.

13. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I bought a 22'' monitor with component jacks built right in. Now if only I had a 360. At least I can enjoy playing Halo 2 online through the monitor.