1. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I don't pre-order anything (I despise the idea of pre-ordering; handing over money for a future product of essentially unknown quality - since there's no reviews out to reveal said quality - is stupid), so I dunno.

2Hack likes this.
  2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Crazy comment of the day lol most games you buy yr gonna get regardless of reviews as you kno it's yr kind of thing - fair enough you don't want to do it but to call it stupid thts stupid lol

3. supershadow64ds

Newcomer

United States
    As if they weren't already slow enough??

4. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    Pay for a better speed

5. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Not necessarily going to get something because it's "my kind of thing" - for example, look at Assassin's Creed Unity. People pre-ordered that, yet it turned out to be incredibly buggy and low-quality. Since there were no reviews, people didn't know of the final release's quality before purchasing the pre-order.
    Same goes for No Man's Sky, which severely lacked content on release yet many people pre-ordered it due solely to hype.
    And Pokémon Let's Go and Sword/Shield too; lacked content and quality, yet sold gangbusters off pre-orders and brand recognition (and being Switch Pokémon games).
    Aliens: Colonial Marines sold most of its copies off pre-orders and infamously unrepresentative trailers.
    Final Fantasy XV was extremely hyped-up and pre-ordered, yet upon release turned out to be very underwhelming.

Pre-ordering games is just inherently disadvantageous in almost every way, especially since the main purpose (ensuring you get a copy in case stock runs low) isn't an issue with digital storefronts. There's no reason whatsoever to pre-order anything, unless it's a physical game from Konami.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:48 PM
  6. mrcroket

mrcroket Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    To sony? There is a special secret service to download from psn at your internet speed? WoW Thanks for the info!

7. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    Sick of idiots saying its slow - it's shit for some and great for some - deal with it

8. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Canada
    I agree. I feel like for this situation I would consider the predownload simply because it's a big name title from Atlus. In my experience, they have been very good at releasing good quality. I would never preorder a ubisoft or EA game though, or even buy one within the first couple months.

9. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    This is now officially in effect for those in the USA, as well.

10. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    42 minutes for a 34GB file not bad on my end....

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    As if ISP throttling wasn't bad enough, now Sony is fucking with me. Thanks assbags.

DarthDub likes this.
  12. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    You hav loads of free time like most of us so who givs a cows arse if a bit slower - stop being so bloody selfish it's not just you who is downloading

13. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is the rare case where preordering could help give the developer leverage in finding a publisher, since that would show proven interest in their product. I can't think of any other reasons to pre-order other than for snatching certain Collector's Editions, however.

14. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    The slow PS4 download speeds are the result of something they added or botched in a firmware release quite some time ago. It is 100% a firmware thing and there are ways to get around it. If you don't know how, then stop yapping about how slow it is and find the solution because it's been out there for quite some time. Sony's servers themselves are perfectly fine or else using the proper method to get around the slow downloads wouldn't work.

tl;dr Stop blaming Sony (outside of the intentional current slow down) for your slow speeds and DO something about it yourself.

Edit: I Normally don't like holding peoples hands, but in this instance I will. It's called using your PC as a proxy server to your PS4 when downloading games. Goodbye slow PS4 download speeds. Sure they are still being throttled, but I just queued up a game to test just how badly and Mafia 3 at 46GB was only going to take 50 minutes on a 200Mbps connection. Would normally be around 30-35 minutes not throttled.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Mar 28, 2020 at 3:00 AM
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

United States
    I have PS+ and the downloads are still slow. I'm a paying customer, I should get better than this.

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    for me (south of France) yesterday the connection test slowed to 3mb/s download (300KB/s)
    I even had very slow ingame level loading in Dreams (the network icon appeared like it couldn't connect to their servers fast enough)
    at least, netflix was fine.

it's back to 340mb/s dl and 20mb/s up today.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM
  17. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so no change in speed than because it was already SHIT

18. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States

I'll say this one last time. The slow PS4 dl speeds were introduced in a firmware update quite a while back. The solution is using your PC as a proxy server to your PS4 when downloading games. Goodbye slow PS4 download speeds.

1. Download and install CCProxy on your computer.
    2. After launching your proxy server, you can see the proxy server IP and port number (from the HTTP port listing).
    3. In CCProxy, you can just hit the Options menu to get this info. Default port is 808.
    4. Now, on your PS4, set up the internet connection.
    5. Use the custom setup instead of the easy setup. Select auto for everything except the proxy.
    6. Enter the proxy IP and port number you previously got from your CCProxy server.
    7. Now, your PS4 will go through CCProxy.

Now kindly stop crying about how bad it is and DO something about it yourselves. This is a 100% tried and true method.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Mar 28, 2020 at 2:46 PM
  19. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    You quoted me in the list but I'm not the one bloody moaning

20. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    I had already edited it to take your comment out before you even replied. :)

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - experience, download, Players