Play US Games on Japanese GameCube?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by ristar, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ristar
    OP

ristar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2012
    United States
    I may be able to acquire a Panasonic Q GameCube sometime in the near future, but since the GC is region-locked, I would like a way to play my US games on it. Is there any way to accomplish this, like an NTSC-J Freeloader disc?

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    I believe there are modchips for Panasonic Que's which could disable the region lock, I believe there maybe a simple mod to take off the region lock but I am not sure if that was for the dvd player or the gamecube side of things

3. Tom

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    New jersey
    I think this is what you want http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Direct-Ltd-Freeloader-FreeLoader/dp/B00006FRD9

4. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Close to it. That specific one is for playing on a PAL GameCube. He needs one for a JAP GameCube.

EDIT: Actually, it apparently works.

5. jinnpan

jinnpan GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2010
    United States
    you can add a region switch switch, google "Gamecube region mod r6"

6. ristar
    OP

ristar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2012
    United States
    I have an Action Replay disc (that I bought in the US) that has Freeloader as an extra utility. Are you saying that I can use that disc on the Q to run NTSC-U games?

7. Tom

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    New jersey
    Probaly , If not just get a freeloader

8. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Action Replay was released in Japan. Standalone Freeloader I doubt it. (language barrier makes it harder to dig deep)

I'm not sure yet whether either in non-Japan form work on a Japanese console. I own US discs of both, just can't fully test them under JPN mode because my region switch Gamecube needs repair.

Panasonic Q should have the point inside to install a US/JPN game OS switch. However you'd need to find a modder. Q is notoriously difficult to dismantle then restore...