Play region free Wii discs on Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Snugglevixen, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Snugglevixen
    OP

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Could someone point me in the right direction for playing PAL games on my US Wii U as I currently want to sell my PAL Wii U and give my Wii to my brother.

List of PAL Wii games I want to play:
    DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3
    Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
    Wii Sports
    Wii Sports Resort
    Metroid Other M
    Okami
    Kirby's Adventure Wii (PAL version of Return to Dreamland)

Also, I'm looking for instructions on converting a PAL Metroid Prime Trilogy save for the NTSC version. I'd prefer to do this on PC and I gather I just need a hex editor but I don't know what to do with it.

2. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    Install The Homebrew Channel, then use Gecko OS to boot region free games.

Margen67 and TeamScriptKiddies like this.
  3. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Thanks.

Margen67 and Mr. Mysterio like this.
  4. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Will Letterbomb work on vWii? I can't find info. or is there something else I have to use?

5. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Letterbomb and Bannerbomb will not work on vWii. You must use a game-based exploit. Here is a list of game-based exploits that work on vWii.

6. g4jek8j54

g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    No, Letterbomb does not work. You will have to use a game exploit, like the Smash Stack, in order to install the Homebrew Channel.

7. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Is there by any chance a Metroid Prime Trilogy exploit, or another cheap downloadable game?

8. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    That would be highly unlikely. :( If anybody is even working toward another exploit for vWii, it would most likely be a game-less exploit for the system menu.

9. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I just remembered a friend of my brother's got the US version of Brawl and a preloader to play it early. I'll see if he still has it.

Margen67 and Mr. Mysterio like this.
  10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I would be against releasing another exploit anyway just in case Nintendo ever patch the existing ones. It's worth buying the exploit game because it unlocks the whole vWii for you and Nintendo seem to be showing no interest in patching the exploits. so you can keep your WiiU on latest firmware if you want.

11. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    You don't need to buy the exploit game. Once The Homebrew Channel is installed, all hacking can be done from there.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    If I were you, I would rethink giving my Wii to my brother... Currently, a lot more can be done hacking-wise with a real Wii than with a Wii U's vWii.

13. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    That's fine since the only hacking I'm interested in is playing PAL games on my US Wii U and converting my MPT save's region since I'm selling my physical copy. I'm not interested in playing pirated games.

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The WiiU's vWii mode is pretty much functionally identical to the regular Wii anyway. As far as I'm aware, the main thing you lose is the ability to modify the system menu itself - not a big deal in itself because you can just use homebrew applications such as GeckoOS for region free.

Loading games from USB works exactly like it does on the Wii, and you can even play GameCube games these days using Nintendont.

15. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I have a GameCube and soon a GC preloader I use for GC games. Interestingly GameCube S-video seems to be sharper than Wii's component.

16. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    I wasn't referring to pirated games. (You can actually play pirated NES, SNES, GBA, DS, N64, etc... games without any software modification on the console.) I was referring mostly to (you guessed it sj33) system menu mods. I myself love using Priiloader, but it can't be installed on a vWii due to extra encryption on the system menu. Other things include system menu themes and BootMii/IOS.

I own a gamecube, and I've noticed the same thing. It is weird... :wtf: Similarly, the Wii U's HDMI seems to be much lower quality in vWii mode the a Wii's component cable.

17. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    Sorry - i am sure this has been asked previously, i searched the threads but couldnt find much .

about the vWii softmod thingie, there is currently still and will be no other way to softmod the Wii U unless you have an original copy of the ssb (wii edition) correct !?

18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
  19. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    My brother says his friend still has US Brawl. He's even offering to sell it to me for $20NZD
    I think I'll accept the offer, that way I'll still have the disc if I ever need to reinstall HBC

20. Snugglevixen
    This message by Snugglevixen has been removed from public view by FIX94, Mar 22, 2015, Reason: do.
    Mar 21, 2015
  21. Mr. Mysterio

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    When you click "Post Reply", if the internet lags, then you don't see your post immediately. When you don't see it, you think that it didn't "get" the button press. Then, you click it multiple times until you see your post, but when the internet connection resumes, ALL your post requests are let through.