PS1/2 Play PS2 games off a EXTERNAL hard-drive?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All in the title.. im not exactly happy to go into my PS2, open it up and replace the hard-drive.. and i have a few external lying around so, could it work?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I want to know this too, because i'm thinking about getting a PS2
tongue.gif

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Get a fat ps2 the best they are. i run a 160gb internal in 1 ps2 and 80 gb in another they work great i only had a usb drive installed on my sons it worked great for him i catch though a bit to slow for video seens pauseing and that but game play is 100%
Usb on PS2 is only 1.1 not 2.0 just be prepaired for longer load times
P.S. internal is way better and faster than usb or DVD

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
cobleman said:
deanxxczx said:
cobleman said:
deanxxczx said:
Yeah... I need to know how to soft mod a PS2 yet.
I'm going to google
tongue.gif
Why google when i gave you a site just above with all you need to know on it

That site doesn't tell you how to.
I want to know everything about it really.
Really did you check the tutorial section? http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html they can even help you out

I just don't want to use that site. I prefer googleing.

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
usbhdd.png

Okay guys, if i was to buy a fat PS2.. softmod it using a memory card exploit and load up the elf file for the app in the picture, could i just get a HDD and connect it and browse through and load my games?

Is there a certain file format i have to format the HDD to or could i just use one of my normal external drives and connect it up?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Williamh85 said:
Let me just say hxxp://sksapps.com/ is the best site. So if you want to google it, good luck! Just stick to hxxp://sksapps.com/

Haha xD

Well, to be honest im looking to keep money i have to spend on the exploit to a minimum.. is there a complete guide avaliable that will show me EVERY step from softmodding --> loading USBAdvance ?
Or a video tut.

Which is the best option for the guy clutching his pocket and wants to spend only around £15 max on the exploit. I already have the PS2 (FAT).

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
I havent done PS2 mods for a while now i just use my memory card to install on other peoples now.
You can run an usb hard drive on any model (except probly the newest i think they patched the exploit)
you will need an origanal swap magic, hdadvanc............ to load exploit

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're intent on using an external HDD rather than an internal drive then don't even bother. The PS2 uses USB 1.1, and compatibility for games played from an external HDD is poor to say the least. Either go the Chubby PS2, Network Adapter and IDE HDD, or get a Slim with HD-Combo or HD-Connect. USB HDD gaming on a PS2 gets tiresome fast....

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xist said:
If you're intent on using an external HDD rather than an internal drive then don't even bother. The PS2 uses USB 1.1, and compatibility for games played from an external HDD is poor to say the least. Either go the Chubby PS2, Network Adapter and IDE HDD, or get a Slim with HD-Combo or HD-Connect. USB HDD gaming on a PS2 gets tiresome fast....

Okay.. disc's it is
wink.gif

So, will any softmod tutorial work let me use burned disc's afterwards? It it as simple as softmodding it and putting in your disc and it playing?

EDIT - This SwapMagic and SwapTool.. does it require a softmodded console to run and swap games?

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, it depends on what type of PS2 you have...If you have a phat, you have a much wider options in term of getting the exploit on your MC

You could use cheat discs that have memory card manager with USB support to copy the exploit straight from your drive to your MC, then launch ulaunch from the exploit by using ur PS1 trigger disc, and install FMCB from there. Once it's modded, you just gotta start burning discs to DVDs....keep in mind that you need to ESR patch every ISO before burning it, it takes a mere second to do it, but sometimes you could forget, like me, and waste time and a DVD XP Once you patch and burn it, it plays pretty much just like a normal game as long as you keep the MC in. Make sure you burn at like 4x though, with imgburn or DVDdecryptor.

As for swapmagic, if it's a phat, you need a slide tool, and that will require removing the front plate of the DVD drive of your PS2, which can be hard to do without breaking the joints. If you have a slim, you need those magic keys. You don't need a softmod for swapmagic, swapmagic IS a softmod, but you do have to worry abt TOC and stuff, especially on heavy games

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do you guys know about this:
http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62141

It's a VERY promising open source loader that is RIGHT NOW in development, so we can expect updates in the future unlike for all other stuff on ps2. At the moment it loads from usb and LAN(i think both, fat + lan adapter and slim), and if we are lucky, it will also get internal HDD loading.

(about ps2 games on p3 with it, i'm not sure if it's usb or lan only)

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
justinefremlouw said:
You could use cheat discs that have memory card manager with USB support to copy the exploit straight from your drive to your MC, then launch ulaunch from the exploit by using ur PS1 trigger disc, and install FMCB from there. Once it's modded, you just gotta start burning discs to DVDs....keep in mind that you need to ESR patch every ISO before burning it, it takes a mere second to do it, but sometimes you could forget, like me, and waste time and a DVD XP Once you patch and burn it, it plays pretty much just like a normal game as long as you keep the MC in. Make sure you burn at like 4x though, with imgburn or DVDdecryptor.

Thats the kinda info i was looking for
wink.gif

Now, all i need is a decent guide on howto do that method.. any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality