Play PC games on your TV

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by 3DPiper, Jan 28, 2007.

Jan 28, 2007

Play PC games on your TV by 3DPiper at 2:21 PM (1,389 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What all do I need to play PC games on my TV (simulated/emulated console)?

I know run a S-Video cable and audio to the TV, but I'm more interested in controlers.. I'd rather not have to have a keyboard/mouse/controller..

I found this app that lets your joystick act like a mouse:

http://www.synapseadaptive.com/augcom/gus/Joystick.htm

If I ran a wireless (or USB extended) controller, could I get away with being able to do everything I need to with JUST the controller? Or is there something already out there that is better?

Also, I see on the Mac they have a neat little hot-key that lets the GUI zoom into a single window (not maximize the window, the GUI zooms in).. Can you do that on a PC? If i play GBA games on my TV, I'd like them to be full screen..

-Matthew

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

how about you acquire a Xbox 360 controller?
    they're really good, fully compatible with PC (Windows XP and Vista natively support it) and particularly well designed.
    I think the X360 controller is my favourite.

I do play N64 games on my TV, with an emulator and my X360 controller, as well as SNES games and others.

So yeah you can get a XBOX360 wireless controller.

3. fermio100

Newcomer fermio100 Advanced Member

Brazil
    I'm very fond of mame and play it in two ways, 1st I use an USB 12 butons 4 axes, just like a PS2 one, but for PC. 2nd I made myself an arcade joystick, with custom parts I bought, the butons and the stick itself are professional, like the original arcade, this is the most fun of all, because the feel is very close to an original arcade. Can't post pictures of it 'cause I don't know how. For PSX, nes, snes, genesis etc I use the 12 button joystick.

4. 3DPiper
    OP

United States
    Thats what I'm looking to do, plus some GBA games..

Still, how can I control the PC enough to not have to keep going back and forth from one room to the other just to play a different game?

Thanks! [​IMG]

-Matthew

5. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    what kind of TV? If its SD, it will look like crap

6. 3DPiper
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry to say it IS a 32" SD trinitron..

But, i'm sure it will be fine for GBA, NES, and SNES games (and the PC games I have on there now.. They all play no larger than 640x480)..

Update:

I found this joystick at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5044148

I bought it, and so far I am very impressed! The range is 100 feet, plus it comes with mouse and keyboard emulation software so I can completely control the computer remotely from the living room.. Very happy! [​IMG]

Now, do emulators support two player mode games (if I have two joysticks)? I like the games where both/all players are on the screen at the same time (me and my kids)..

-Matthew

7. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    a pc would be great for snes and nes emulation, as well as N64 and the old segas if you got good controllers

i just my modded xbox for all that stuff though

i couldnt use a tv for a computer monitor, not nearly enough space
    (i have 2 monitors both running at 1280x1024)

the wii browser would be better on a tv than your pc

8. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    There currently is no wireless X360 controller for PCs right now. I do beleive Microsoft was supposed to releases one with, or closely behind, the official launch of Vista in a few days.

9. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Microsoft unveiled some 360 wireless controller reciever for PCs a while ago. Dunno if it's made its way to the market yet though.

10. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Not if you set the emulators to full screen in a lower resolution format...

11. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I do lots of things with my PC connected to the TV:
    First of all, my card has output for s-video or hdmi, I use the latter now because my tv is HD.

I play emulated games with a PS2 or NGC controller via an adaptor called Trio Linker Plus.
    I also have a wireless 5 buttons mouse from Kensington, wich I use from my couch to navigate menus and windows(why use an awkward mouse to joypad program when I can have the real thing)
    Project64, Zsnes, VisualBoy and many others, all run flawlessly with the PS2 joypad, although I prefer my modded NGC controller for N64 games because it has a superior analog stick ) and for any other emulator that doesn't require analog I use the PS2 joypad because I like the d-pad better.

I also play PC games, same set-up, usually NGC controller + mouse for menus, and they look magnificent on my lcd widescreen native resolution.

My favorite set-up if PC FPS on the TV in a Wii style (thanks nintendo for giving me the idea !) !!
    What I do I hold in my left hand the modded NGC controller, and I remap the usual wasd PC keys on the left analog, then I use the d-pad for secondary functions like night vision, next grenade, use gadgets etc..
    And on my 5 buttons wireless mouse I look around(obviously like you would on the PC) and most basic actions like fire, secondary weapon, flashlight and use.
    plus on the right side of the NGC controller (almost out of reach)I remap less common buttons like quick save, esc or quit.
    I really feel like using the Wii nunchuck and remote but with a mouse instead, which ain't bad !!

I also play MAME game with an X-Arcade joystick (a huge , heavy duty arcade style controller that works with many consoles and PC or MAC), although it might be recommended to place it on a coffee table instead of your lap!)

And I also watch internet videos such as utube.

For those wondering, my mod for NGC controller is very simple and everybody can do that, but it will make an already excellent joypad even better:
    Basically I cracked open an extra nunchuck that I had laing around and I removed the analog stick cup.
    I did the same with the NGC and switched them.
    Why ? because the NGC analog stick is damn slippery !! But since is very important in NGC games, I decided to use the new and much less slippery analog cup from the nunchuck, and it turned out to be a perfect fit !
    And my nunchuck is still perfectly working.
    I can play F-zero GX without having to tie up my thumb to the analog stick!! Highly recommended mod !!

I am sure I forgot something.....well I'll think about it.

12. unusername

Member unusername GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    i use a microsoft sidewinder gamepad usb... the black one, buyed at ebay...
    and my mouse/keyb wireless Genius.

very good!