Tutorial  Updated

Play online with your friends using just one Switch (via Parsec)

I really miss the gaming meetings I had with my friends before COVID19. We could play Mario Kart or Smash Bros for hours without getting bored. Only one of them has a Switch, so we couldn't have those gaming sessions.... until now.

Yeah! Now it's possible to play online with your friends just using one switch. How? Capturing the switch audio and video stream, sending it via Parsec and receiving the inputs via sys-hidplus. It is very playable, but if you have performance problems, I will also suggest some tips in order to improve it.

So, let's start!

Requirements

Host requirements
Even if the capture card is the recommended option, this tutorial will focus on the free option

Client requirements
  • Parsec with an account (it's free) (https://parsecgaming.com/)
  • A controller (it can also be a keyboard or even an android phone. It will be explained later)
Steps

Host configuration

• Configure SysDVR in your PC and Switch according to this guide: https://github.com/exelix11/SysDVR/wiki
  • Open SysDVR-ClientGUI
  • Select Video in Channels to stream
  • Select USB in Stream source
  • In MPV path, select the mpv.com file in the folder where you extracted MPV
  • In Advanced/Debug options, select "mpv low-latency-mode"
  • (Optional) click on export batch file to avoid repeating the previous steps.
  • Click on launch.
  • Open a game, and, if everything was set up correctly, you will see the video stream of your Switch on your PC screen (do not try Smash Bros, as it is not supported)
  • If you want to receive audio, connect the 3.5 aux cable in the microphone jack of your PC and in the headphones jack of your Switch.
  • Now, go to your Microphone properties, enable the option "listen to this device" in the Listen tab and apply the changes.
It is normal to hear a lot of noise when the console is in silence. When the console plays a sound, you will hear less noise. However, if this is still annoying to you, you could try to use a ground loop noise isolator.

• Configure Sys-hidplus according to this link: https://github.com/PaskaPinishkes/sys-hidplus/
  • Open Parsec and log in. Look for your PC and click on share. Get your PC's link and send it to your friends.
  • Once your friends connect into your PC and press a button, you will see a notification saying that your PC recognized a new controller and will install it.
  • Once all controllers are recognized, open CMD, go to the folder where you extracted the PC tools of sys-hidplus and run the following command: "py input_pc.py YOUR_SWITCH_IP". A message notifying the number of gamepad detected will help you to check if everything is fine.
  • Sometimes, Parsec disables automatically the audio of your PC. So if you want to have audio, enable it again.

Client configuration

• Open Parsec and log in
  • If you plan to use an Xbox 360 or Dualshock 4 (with DS4Windows) controller, it should be recognized immediatly by Parsec. Anyway, you can change the mapping going to Parsec > Configuration > Gamepad and change the current gamepad maping.
  • If you plan to use another device (such as a Wii U Gamepad, a 3DS, an android phone, your keyboard or a generic PC controller), follow this guide written by me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-your-3ds-wiiu-gamepad-as-a-switch-controller.576440/
  • Once your controller is configured and running, open the link that your friend sent to you and start playing!

Extra

• Avoid streaming in full-screen.
  • Prefer Ethernet connection
  • Disable audio if you don't care about it
  • Connect SYS-DVR with an USB cable.
  • Reduce streaming resolution to 1280x1024 (Parsec > Configuration > Host > Resolution)
  • Reduce FPS to 30 (Parsec > Configuration > Host > FPS)
  • Connect your Switch to a 5GHz wifi
  • If you have another tip, please share it with us :)

Last edited by Intronaut,

f41lbl0g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games would you recommend using with this method? I can think of mario kart but if there are any others let me know.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm not using SYSdvr because I want to play games like Smash, does anyone know how to capture the game? The Elgato capture software doesn't really like parsec and acts weird.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I was so confused about what exactly this is supposed to do.

For those that got confused like me. It's badically playstation share play or steam remote play together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm