Hacking Play GC games on Wii U via backup disc?

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, this could be used as an alternative to Devo and Nintendont users who have issues with USB loading, or in the event that they cannot format the drives properly. I use both, but I'd rather see a disc alternative. Any chance this is possible?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In late 2009, Nintendo started producing Wii's that would not read copied discs. So it's probably safe to say that the Wii U will not read any kind of copied disc from the disc drive.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There are a few problems with that:
1. The Wii U disk drive is incapable of reading or even recognizing anything in normal DVD or Blue-Ray format (be it a burned or retail disk) just like most PC DVD-ROM or BD-ROM drives are simply incapable of reading a Wii/GC/Wii U retail disk. The disk format is similar but it is NOT the same. There's a very low level difference in how information is organized within each sector that makes them incompatible. For some reason even with the right size adapter, even retail GC disks can't be read by homebrew on a Wii U (and even a family Wii that usually rejects GC disks can read them with an adapter.) so it's strictly Wii and Wii U retail disks ONLY in this drive.
2. On a Wii, GameCube games were run by putting the Wii into GameCube mode. The Wii U does not have a GameCube mode. It only has a Wii and Wii U mode so even if you put a BC and cMIOS on there, the hardware addresses and clock speed is all messed up.
3. Without something like Nintendon't or Devolution there's no way to control the games since there's no way to plug in a GC controller. At least a family Wii you could solder them back on. A Wii U doesn't even have that.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
3. Without something like Nintendon't or Devolution there's no way to control the games since there's no way to plug in a GC controller. At least a family Wii you could solder them back on. A Wii U doesn't even have that.
Well if you register a Wiimote on the Wii U, there is that Mayflash GC to Wiimote adapter. Dunno how well it works though.

Reactions: juins

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well if you register a Wiimote on the Wii U, there is that Mayflash GC to Wiimote adapter. Dunno how well it works though.
My point was just that GameCube mode on a Wii can't make good enough use of Bluetooth (used to connect to a Wiimote and, therefore, that adapter) because it doesn't have enough space for the programming code needed to interact with it.

I was understanding that OP was assuming that if you popped any GC disk (burned or retail) into a Wii U in Wii mode it would know what to do with it (and have a built-in GC mode to handle it). I was saying that EVEN IF that was the case, controls would be a problem when the only plugs a GC game knows to look for (in their original place, not attached to a Wiimote or USB port) don't exist on a Wii U.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I knew what you meant, but I was just saying there is a possibility to use GC controllers on the Wii U (whether or not Wiimotes are already supported in DEVO).
I think I was looking to make it happen, rather than worry about GC discs in the U slot (which I thought was well known didn't work).

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point was just that GameCube mode on a Wii can't make good enough use of Bluetooth (used to connect to a Wiimote and, therefore, that adapter) because it doesn't have enough space for the programming code needed to interact with it.

I was understanding that OP was assuming that if you popped any GC disk (burned or retail) into a Wii U in Wii mode it would know what to do with it (and have a built-in GC mode to handle it). I was saying that EVEN IF that was the case, controls would be a problem when the only plugs a GC game knows to look for (in their original place, not attached to a Wiimote or USB port) don't exist on a Wii U.
Sorry for the late reply, but I knew beforehand that retail copies couldn't be read. I assumed the drive could simply be spoofed or otherwise, and running the game similar to Devolution (running GC games in Wii mode)

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Thats why I love having a launch Wii, GC backup loading is so much easier from a disc. Unfortunately the Wii past 2009 and Wii U are incapable of running any disc other than retail.

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats why I love having a launch Wii, GC backup loading is so much easier from a disc. Unfortunately the Wii past 2009 and Wii U are incapable of running any disc other than retail.

I have a launch unit as well, I'd just prefer having one console for everything without jumping through hoops (I'm looking at you, Devo:glare:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.